Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Found a Colt Commander, Should I buy It?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Found a Colt Commander, Should I buy It?

So, I found a 70 Series Colt Commander with a Kart Barrel selling for $850. Not that I know 1/2 of what any of that means, except that it's a really nice gun, that looks good, and feels good. It has night sights, match trigger, and a upgraded hammer. The finish looks like Blued Steel, but he said it wasn't. I don't recall what he said it was, something that's more durable than blued steel though...

I asked why he wanted so little, and he said the fellow who owned it passed away so his wife was selling all of his weapons. There were a few other 1911's that he had, but this one caught my eye.

So, it looks to be in very good condition, from what I can tell. And I can't find any signs of rust or abuse on it. Should I buy it?!?!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

It sounds like a keeper, with the upgrades done, see if you can get him down to $800, but it's still a good price @ $850. Pictures my man, pictures would really help.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
It sounds like a keeper, with the upgrades done, see if you can get him down to $800, but it's still a good price @ $850. Pictures my man, pictures would really help.

Jack
Actually, the selling price is $895, but he'll take $850 if I pay with cash. The gun-shop guarantees their used guns too, so if I have any problems with it, I can sell it back or they can fix it for me. But honestly, since it's a Colt, I don't think I'll have too many issues with it. At least, I hope not...

Old 09-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

If it's as described, I would say you found a good deal. $850 is a good price for that caliber gun in that condition.

If it were me, and I had the cash, I would do the deal. If you don't like it, you can always resell it to Cane.

JD

Old 09-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

If Cane welches and won't buy it, I would...

Old 09-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
If it's as described, I would say you found a good deal. $850 is a good price for that caliber gun in that condition.

If it were me, and I had the cash, I would do the deal. If you don't like it, you can always resell it to Cane.

JD
Well, I can get the cash, I've just been waiting for the "right" 1911 to come along. I think this one just might be it. I also think $850, not $1k like a Kimber, is more in my price range. And, like you said, there's plenty of people out there that would be willing to buy it from me later if I decided that 1911's aren't for me.

I think I'm going to get it. Now to find an ATM or two... Oh, and I should probably call and ask him to hold it in the safe, for "safe" keeping so no one else takes it

Old 09-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

FYI, the Kart barrel is likely a match barrel. From the sounds of the pistol and the mods, it sounds like it is an excellent and well kept pistol.

Check the condition of the barrel and how the pistol cycles. Everything should feel really smooth.

If it seems okay and with the shops repair policy, I don't think you can go wrong.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
FYI, the Kart barrel is likely a match barrel. From the sounds of the pistol and the mods, it sounds like it is an excellent and well kept pistol.

Check the condition of the barrel and how the pistol cycles. Everything should feel really smooth.

If it seems okay and with the shops repair policy, I don't think you can go wrong.
If my wife gets back from Hobby Lobby soon... I'll go back to the shop tonight and have him break down the gun for me so I can examine it for any signs of rust. If it passes visual inspection, I'll go ahead and get it

Hopefully the cash advance at the bank goes through smoothly

Old 09-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I wouldn't sweat the rust (if any) as long as it has not deeply pitted.

Check to make sure the hammer does not fall with the thumb safety engaged and the trigger is squeezed (squoze?). If it falls you will need a new thumb safety fitted. Check to make sure the grip safety works properly. See if the plunger tube is firmly staked/attached.

The Kart bbl is a very good one, and the way you describe the pistol it sounds like a decent deal.

If you need a 1911, this one sounds like a contender to me.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I wouldn't sweat the rust (if any) as long as it has not deeply pitted.

Check to make sure the hammer does not fall with the thumb safety engaged and the trigger is squeezed (squoze?). If it falls you will need a new thumb safety fitted. Check to make sure the grip safety works properly. See if the plunger tube is firmly staked/attached.

The Kart bbl is a very good one, and the way you describe the pistol it sounds like a decent deal.

If you need a 1911, this one sounds like a contender to me.
I already inadvertently checked the safety by pulling the trigger and forgetting to drop the safety. I have a Glock which only has a "trigger safety", so a thumb safety is new to me. So yeah, the thumb safety definitely works. I don't know about the grip one though.

What's the plunger tube? Sorry, I'm a noob to 1911's...

Closed Thread