Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Found a Colt Commander, Should I buy It? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/found-colt-commander-should-i-buy-18093/)

feedsasquatch 09-15-2009 07:10 PM

Found a Colt Commander, Should I buy It?
 
So, I found a 70 Series Colt Commander with a Kart Barrel selling for $850. Not that I know 1/2 of what any of that means, except that it's a really nice gun, that looks good, and feels good. It has night sights, match trigger, and a upgraded hammer. The finish looks like Blued Steel, but he said it wasn't. I don't recall what he said it was, something that's more durable than blued steel though...

I asked why he wanted so little, and he said the fellow who owned it passed away so his wife was selling all of his weapons. There were a few other 1911's that he had, but this one caught my eye.

So, it looks to be in very good condition, from what I can tell. And I can't find any signs of rust or abuse on it. Should I buy it?!?!

IGETEVEN 09-15-2009 07:19 PM

It sounds like a keeper, with the upgrades done, see if you can get him down to $800, but it's still a good price @ $850. Pictures my man, pictures would really help. :)

Jack

feedsasquatch 09-15-2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGETEVEN (Post 160157)
It sounds like a keeper, with the upgrades done, see if you can get him down to $800, but it's still a good price @ $850. Pictures my man, pictures would really help. :)

Jack

Actually, the selling price is $895, but he'll take $850 if I pay with cash. The gun-shop guarantees their used guns too, so if I have any problems with it, I can sell it back or they can fix it for me. But honestly, since it's a Colt, I don't think I'll have too many issues with it. At least, I hope not...

Dillinger 09-15-2009 07:43 PM

If it's as described, I would say you found a good deal. $850 is a good price for that caliber gun in that condition.

If it were me, and I had the cash, I would do the deal. If you don't like it, you can always resell it to Cane. :D

JD

NGIB 09-15-2009 08:06 PM

If Cane welches and won't buy it, I would...

feedsasquatch 09-15-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 160177)
If it's as described, I would say you found a good deal. $850 is a good price for that caliber gun in that condition.

If it were me, and I had the cash, I would do the deal. If you don't like it, you can always resell it to Cane. :D

JD

Well, I can get the cash, I've just been waiting for the "right" 1911 to come along. I think this one just might be it. I also think $850, not $1k like a Kimber, is more in my price range. And, like you said, there's plenty of people out there that would be willing to buy it from me later if I decided that 1911's aren't for me.

I think I'm going to get it. Now to find an ATM or two... Oh, and I should probably call and ask him to hold it in the safe, for "safe" keeping so no one else takes it:D

CA357 09-15-2009 08:11 PM

FYI, the Kart barrel is likely a match barrel. From the sounds of the pistol and the mods, it sounds like it is an excellent and well kept pistol.

Check the condition of the barrel and how the pistol cycles. Everything should feel really smooth.

If it seems okay and with the shops repair policy, I don't think you can go wrong.

feedsasquatch 09-15-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 160195)
FYI, the Kart barrel is likely a match barrel. From the sounds of the pistol and the mods, it sounds like it is an excellent and well kept pistol.

Check the condition of the barrel and how the pistol cycles. Everything should feel really smooth.

If it seems okay and with the shops repair policy, I don't think you can go wrong.

If my wife gets back from Hobby Lobby soon... I'll go back to the shop tonight and have him break down the gun for me so I can examine it for any signs of rust. If it passes visual inspection, I'll go ahead and get it:D

Hopefully the cash advance at the bank goes through smoothly:rolleyes:

M14sRock 09-15-2009 09:08 PM

I wouldn't sweat the rust (if any) as long as it has not deeply pitted.

Check to make sure the hammer does not fall with the thumb safety engaged and the trigger is squeezed (squoze?). If it falls you will need a new thumb safety fitted. Check to make sure the grip safety works properly. See if the plunger tube is firmly staked/attached.

The Kart bbl is a very good one, and the way you describe the pistol it sounds like a decent deal.

If you need a 1911, this one sounds like a contender to me.

feedsasquatch 09-15-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 160225)
I wouldn't sweat the rust (if any) as long as it has not deeply pitted.

Check to make sure the hammer does not fall with the thumb safety engaged and the trigger is squeezed (squoze?). If it falls you will need a new thumb safety fitted. Check to make sure the grip safety works properly. See if the plunger tube is firmly staked/attached.

The Kart bbl is a very good one, and the way you describe the pistol it sounds like a decent deal.

If you need a 1911, this one sounds like a contender to me.

I already inadvertently checked the safety by pulling the trigger and forgetting to drop the safety. I have a Glock which only has a "trigger safety", so a thumb safety is new to me. So yeah, the thumb safety definitely works. I don't know about the grip one though.

What's the plunger tube? Sorry, I'm a noob to 1911's...


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:35 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.