Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > FL resident in MI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FL resident in MI

How does a Florida resident go a out purchasing a handgun through a private owner in the state of Michigan?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #2

I think you would have to transfer through an FFL (I could be wrong though).

Old 03-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 739 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 155

FFL transfer is the only legal way... there are exceptions related to inheiretence that I don't understand.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #4

Liked 854 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 593

His FFL to your FFL.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Does not have to come FROM a FFL, but must go TO a FFL in the home state of the recipient. Receiving dealer will need copy of some ID so he can log gun in to his bound volume. Dealer does form 4473, background check, etc, same as if you were buying from him.

If the shipper is NOT a FFL, he can only ship a handgun by UPS or FedEx Next Day Air, Adult Sig required. This is rather pricey- about $75. He can take it to a dealer, and pay dealer to mail it for him. A Dealer (and only Dealers/ Manufacturers) can use US Mail for a handgun.

The only exception to the first paragraph is inheritance. Executor of an estate can ship handgun directly to an inheritor so long as it is legal for inheritor to possess that gun in that state. This is spelled out in 18 US Code Section 922.

EDIT- If you are a Florida Resident, and are in Michigan, you may NOT legally obtain a handgun from ANYONE while there. Transfer must be to a FFL in your home state. There is no legal face-to-face sale between residents of different states.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 03-09-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #6

Liked 854 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 739 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
EDIT- If you are a Florida Resident, and are in Michigan, you may NOT legally obtain a handgun from ANYONE while there.
Interesting quirk in the laws... a MI resident who owns property with a FL ID is allowed to buy firearms in FL and then can register them in MI.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

IF you have more than one place of residence, yes, you may.

Example- My "Residence"- also known as Home of Record- while serving with the US Army- is Virginia. However, I was assigned to Ft. Benning GA. Second residence. I was renting an apartment in Phenix City AL. Third residence.

Point was, this is governed by Fed law, and limits your purchases in all states.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Does not have to come FROM a FFL, but must go TO a FFL in the home state of the recipient. Receiving dealer will need copy of some ID so he can log gun in to his bound volume. Dealer does form 4473, background check, etc, same as if you were buying from him.

If the shipper is NOT a FFL, he can only ship a handgun by UPS or FedEx Next Day Air, Adult Sig required. This is rather pricey- about $75. He can take it to a dealer, and pay dealer to mail it for him. A Dealer (and only Dealers/ Manufacturers) can use US Mail for a handgun.

The only exception to the first paragraph is inheritance. Executor of an estate can ship handgun directly to an inheritor so long as it is legal for inheritor to possess that gun in that state. This is spelled out in 18 US Code Section 922.

EDIT- If you are a Florida Resident, and are in Michigan, you may NOT legally obtain a handgun from ANYONE while there. Transfer must be to a FFL in your home state. There is no legal face-to-face sale between residents of different states.
C3 nailed it!

And I'm sure because I'm a Florida resident and I bought a handgun from a private Michigan resident.

I paid for the gun, the [ex]owner took the gun to a MI FFL and had it send Priority Mail (saved ~$80 compared to shipping it himself) to my FL FFL, The owner included a copy of his drivers license and a bill of sale. I paid the transfer fee, cleared the NICS check and because I have a FL CCW license, took the gun home that day.

Easy peasy japanesey!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello