Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   FL resident in MI (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/fl-resident-mi-59827/)

rsaling39 03-09-2012 05:37 PM

FL resident in MI

How does a Florida resident go a out purchasing a handgun through a private owner in the state of Michigan?

theundeadelvis 03-09-2012 05:58 PM

I think you would have to transfer through an FFL (I could be wrong though).

partdeux 03-09-2012 07:07 PM

FFL transfer is the only legal way... there are exceptions related to inheiretence that I don't understand.

limbkiller 03-09-2012 07:09 PM

His FFL to your FFL.

c3shooter 03-09-2012 07:18 PM

Does not have to come FROM a FFL, but must go TO a FFL in the home state of the recipient. Receiving dealer will need copy of some ID so he can log gun in to his bound volume. Dealer does form 4473, background check, etc, same as if you were buying from him.

If the shipper is NOT a FFL, he can only ship a handgun by UPS or FedEx Next Day Air, Adult Sig required. This is rather pricey- about $75. He can take it to a dealer, and pay dealer to mail it for him. A Dealer (and only Dealers/ Manufacturers) can use US Mail for a handgun.

The only exception to the first paragraph is inheritance. Executor of an estate can ship handgun directly to an inheritor so long as it is legal for inheritor to possess that gun in that state. This is spelled out in 18 US Code Section 922.

EDIT- If you are a Florida Resident, and are in Michigan, you may NOT legally obtain a handgun from ANYONE while there. Transfer must be to a FFL in your home state. There is no legal face-to-face sale between residents of different states.

limbkiller 03-09-2012 08:09 PM

Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

partdeux 03-09-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 734777)
EDIT- If you are a Florida Resident, and are in Michigan, you may NOT legally obtain a handgun from ANYONE while there.

Interesting quirk in the laws... a MI resident who owns property with a FL ID is allowed to buy firearms in FL and then can register them in MI.

c3shooter 03-10-2012 01:24 AM

IF you have more than one place of residence, yes, you may.

Example- My "Residence"- also known as Home of Record- while serving with the US Army- is Virginia. However, I was assigned to Ft. Benning GA. Second residence. I was renting an apartment in Phenix City AL. Third residence.

Point was, this is governed by Fed law, and limits your purchases in all states.

canebrake 03-10-2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 734777)
Does not have to come FROM a FFL, but must go TO a FFL in the home state of the recipient. Receiving dealer will need copy of some ID so he can log gun in to his bound volume. Dealer does form 4473, background check, etc, same as if you were buying from him.

If the shipper is NOT a FFL, he can only ship a handgun by UPS or FedEx Next Day Air, Adult Sig required. This is rather pricey- about $75. He can take it to a dealer, and pay dealer to mail it for him. A Dealer (and only Dealers/ Manufacturers) can use US Mail for a handgun.

The only exception to the first paragraph is inheritance. Executor of an estate can ship handgun directly to an inheritor so long as it is legal for inheritor to possess that gun in that state. This is spelled out in 18 US Code Section 922.

EDIT- If you are a Florida Resident, and are in Michigan, you may NOT legally obtain a handgun from ANYONE while there. Transfer must be to a FFL in your home state. There is no legal face-to-face sale between residents of different states.

C3 nailed it!

And I'm sure because I'm a Florida resident and I bought a handgun from a private Michigan resident.

I paid for the gun, the [ex]owner took the gun to a MI FFL and had it send Priority Mail (saved ~$80 compared to shipping it himself) to my FL FFL, The owner included a copy of his drivers license and a bill of sale. I paid the transfer fee, cleared the NICS check and because I have a FL CCW license, took the gun home that day.

Easy peasy japanesey!