Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   First Shots with my .45! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/first-shots-my-45-a-15074/)

JoshX3Magazine 06-24-2009 01:06 PM

First Shots with my .45!

1 Attachment(s)
Good morning everyone! I managed to take a few minutes yesterday (after finally locating some decent target ammunition) to shoot two magazines downrange.

These were my first two magazines ever fired with a 1911-style pistol.

To say the least, I'm very happy with my results. However, I'd like the opinions of the experienced .45-shooters here, as while my groups are tight, I seem to be pulling a tad to the right.

The picture below is of my first-ever magazine fired through my new Colt Commander, 4.25 inch barrel, with Remington UMC .45 ACP ammuntion at 7 yards distance, one shot roughly every second.

I fired 7 rounds. The bottom left impact, the odd man out, is the first round I ever shot with my 1911. The group up at the top right of the target is next, 4 rounds in a very tight group. The two impacts at the direct right of the target are my final 2 shots.

What do you guys think?

Oh and by the way, after emptying 2 magazines and walking away from the range, my first thought was "wow...so this is a .45...why have I not been doing this all along?"

Josh

Jo da Plumbr 06-24-2009 01:20 PM

Nice shooting.

JoshX3Magazine 06-24-2009 01:37 PM

Thank you sir!

:)

skullcrusher 06-24-2009 02:06 PM

Darn good, Josh.

Check out the chart that is the second post in this thread.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/1st-time-range-6-years-trigger-pulling-14899/

Dillinger 06-24-2009 02:14 PM

Josh - You have to factor in that you are used to shooting a rocker style trigger, while the 1911 has a linear trigger.

I feel the linear trigger is a far superior design for putting rounds on target, but it's going to take some time to adapt your trigger pull from the longer take up and rocker motion of that of your revolvers or your Glocks, in comparison to the short travel and instant bang of a good 1911 trigger.

For your first time shooting the weapon, at 7 yards, with unfamiliar recoil and ammo just off the shelf, I don't think you did bad in any stretch of the imagination. All of those shots would be center mass of a bad guy - and that is all you are trying to do in a "Get it out and get it smoking" situation.

I am betting with a little practice you will see those groups tighten right up - and when you get used to the trigger, you will find that you are nailing a lot more of those shots exactly where you intended to put them.

Fine choice for a new sidearm - you have officially "crossed over" now and achieved a new level of consciousness about your handgun choices. :D

JD

JoshX3Magazine 06-24-2009 03:30 PM

Thanks gentlemen!

I really appreciate the advice and the kind words. Any thoughts anyone has to help me improve is greatly appreciated.

And you guys weren't kidding about the trigger pull of a .45. Mine is an off-the-shelf Colt and it's NOTHING like I've ever shot before. Wow!

Josh

hawkman1 06-28-2009 04:57 PM

Just keep in mind that trigger pull can get you your bulls eyes. Too much finger tends to pull the gun towards your shooting hand when you pull the trigger. Not enough finger on the trigger tends to push it away from your strong hand. The vertical deviation comes from anticipation of the recoil. Defeating that takes practice.

You did great for shooting the 1911 for the first time. It would be normal for all your shots to be above or below the bulls eye for a first time shooter of the 1911 because your not accustom to the recoil and style of shooting yet.

matt g 06-28-2009 05:44 PM

That's what 1911s are good for. That's why so many are used as race guns and target pistols. The trigger lends itself to accuracy.

I did the same thing when I went from my USP to my Kimber. When I was shooting a lot, I could use my Kimber to place a magazine into a Dollar bill sized group at 50 yards using slow firing or under rapid fire I could keep a magazine on a 10" steel at the same distance.

The more you shoot a 1911, the better the pistol gets and the better you get with the pistol.

CA357 06-28-2009 08:38 PM

Now you know the reason the 1911 has such an army of true believers. Good shooting. :cool:

Shotgun Shooter 06-28-2009 09:27 PM

Very nice. Better groups than I could get for my first time. :)

S.S.