Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > First Impressions of RIA Tactical 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 12:39 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Why don't the Kimber mags work with the RIA? I have 2 mags that I got with my new RIA, and they seem to work just fine. They insert and lock back the slide like they are supposed to. I haven't noticed any gaps and the snap caps I have seem to cycle like they are supposed to just like the other mags that came with the RIA.

Granted, I have yet to fire this pistol at the range. Is that where the malfunctions turn up? The Kimber mags I have are nothing special, just the standard, "bare bones" magazines.

I'm just curious if I need to keep my eye open for anything specific when I shoot it for the first time.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The lips and followers on the Les Baer and DW mags are different than on the stock RIA mag. The Kimber mags have the same lip configuration, but the followers are slightly different.

I've decided to withdraw it from sale and send it to Armscor, attention to Ivan, later today. We'll see what happens. If they can sort it out, fine, if not, I'll put it on consignment at a gunshop.

It's an inexpensive 1911, hopefully they can get it sorted out and I can have a dependable shooter/truck gun. That's what I bought it for.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-04-2008, 04:08 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I talked to Ivan at Armscor yesterday. It seems that Rock Island pistols are guaranteed to work only with the factory supplied magazines and those are Act-Mag magazines.

I must admit, I didn't know that little fact. The pistol ran fine with the one supplied factory mag, slide locked open like it was supposed to etc...

Ivan offered to send me a couple of free mags and I'm taking him up on the offer. Next, I'll try them in my CBOB and if they work, I'll sell my Les Baer and Kimber mags and stock up on the Act-Mags for uniformity.

Bottom line, I've already cleaned the pistol, it's an accurate shooter as far as I can tell for the little I've had a chance to shoot it. I'll have to put some serious roundage through it, but I'm pretty sure it will be okay. As far as the sloppy beavertail cuts, the hell with them. I bought this as a beater/shooter/truck pistol. I'm going to give it a chance.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #24

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

All my mags work with mine, I have one Novak 8-rounder and a stainless 7-rounder that came with the gun. I later bought two more 7-round stainless mags and they perform flawlessly. The slide even locks back like it's supposed to.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 12-12-2008, 12:29 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Are the other two factory mags or some other brand?

I sent a check off to Armscor for another half dozen mags plus the two freebies which will give me a total of nine mags. That should be enough assuming the RIA will run with them.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:06 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I put it on consignment at the gunshop this morning. Buh bye.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:27 AM   #27

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you.

Best of luck in finding a good "utility" 1911. Did you check with maybe getting one of the Springfield Armory GI 1911 models? I'm sure you could find one around 650-700 (possibly less) which isn't too much more expensive than the Rock Island Armory pistols. Depends on how much you want to go for a utility gun.

Then again, maybe you can scour the used 1911 market. I've heard that sometimes you can pick up some really good quality deals.

Best of luck to you.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:40 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There's some DGFM 1911's at the shop and I'm thinking of possibly buying one and rebuilding it as a project gun. We'll see what happens.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:45 AM   #29

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I haven't heard much about the Argentine 1911 pistols.

How are they for their price?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

They go for $450. reparked, but not rebuilt. There's a few that haven't been refinished, but they're in the back and I don't know what they want for them.

BTW, I used to have a Springfield Mil Spec that I sent through Springfield Custom for some work and to Novak's for sights. It was an excellent pistol.

It's possible I may go that way again, but I think it would be good experience to do a rebuild on the Argentine Colt.