First Impressions of RIA Tactical 1911 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

First Impressions of RIA Tactical 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 03:34 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
So far, it doesn't work at all with Les Baer or Dan Wesson mags. It will operate with Kimber mags, but won't hold open when the last round is fired
I bought a $10 gun show mag just to see if it would work right, it didn't, go figure.

Mine works (hold open and proper feed) with all the Novak, Mecgar, and Colt mags, I had to borrow some to try. I will not buy any of them after handling Kimber's mags.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:46 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've got 4 7 round Kimber mags that all work beautifully. They sit around the house with ammo in them until I hit the range, then I pull my defense ammo out of them, load them with ball and run them all day long. When I get home, they each get 6 rounds of defense ammo and they sit back that way until I get back out to the range. They lived through that cycle for close to 10 years now.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:41 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Yup, my Baer and DW mags feed like champs. That's why I was surprised that they don't work in the RIA.
The Kimbers are brand new, stainless and have the same lip configuration as the factory mag, I was very surprised they won't hold open.

I really dislike the idea of not being able to interchange mags in my 1911's.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-30-2008, 04:47 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Yup, my Baer and DW mags feed like champs. That's why I was surprised that they don't work in the RIA.
The Kimbers are brand new, stainless and have the same lip configuration as the factory mag, I was very surprised they won't hold open.

My Kimbers are Parkerized and beat to ****, they still feed quite nicely. Bummer deal though. Have you called RIA to see what they recommend?

Old 11-30-2008, 04:52 AM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3487 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:

Quoted for Truth! If you can't pick up a field mag, slap it in and feel comfortable about it going bang, you need to find another thigh rig.

My Nighthawks and my Kimbers go bang with anything I run through them. Both platforms have been proven to be reliable in hundreds of rounds of range time, with multiple ammo, regardless of manufacturer.

The only mag I have ever had a problem with is when I bought into the whole "extended mag" situation and bought an 11 rounder from some unknown company and it doesn't feed worth crap. Dumped it and stuck with the 8+1 round configuration.

9 rounds of .45 is going to get me through most situations, and when it won't, I have both my belt and shoulders rigs with 2 full mags....

JD

Old 11-30-2008, 05:08 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Quoted for Truth! If you can't pick up a field mag, slap it in and feel comfortable about it going bang, you need to find another thigh rig.

My Nighthawks and my Kimbers go bang with anything I run through them. Both platforms have been proven to be reliable in hundreds of rounds of range time, with multiple ammo, regardless of manufacturer.

The only mag I have ever had a problem with is when I bought into the whole "extended mag" situation and bought an 11 rounder from some unknown company and it doesn't feed worth crap. Dumped it and stuck with the 8+1 round configuration.

9 rounds of .45 is going to get me through most situations, and when it won't, I have both my belt and shoulders rigs with 2 full mags....

JD
Hundreds of rounds?

Psshh, newb...

Old 11-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I listed it for sale on another forum.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Hundreds of rounds?

Psshh, newb...
That's per gun - and I added another 150 through the 5" GRP this weekend....But, I do admit to not shooting as much as I would like. After the start of the year I hope to get my reloading bench on line and change that though...

JD

Old 11-30-2008, 11:20 PM   #19

Quote:
I listed it for sale on another forum.
I don't know bro - that sounds like bad karma....

What's the next planned purchase?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:35 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I dunno. Another full size 1911 of some description.

As far as selling the RIA, I can't afford to keep it and buy another 1911. It has to go to help defray the cost of the new one. It shoots accurately and doesn't have an issue with the factory mag and it's a cheap full size 1911 for someone.

The alternative is to sell my Baer mags and pick up some CMC mags or some similar brand. Then, as long as they work in the CBOB and the RIA, I could keep the RIA. I could live with that.