First 1911... Questions...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > First 1911... Questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First 1911... Questions...

Hey guys, so I just got my first 1911 handgun, well not quite. Its on hold, untill the 18th. I am going to pick it up and pay for it on the 18th. The only other pistols I have are a Glock 19, and an old German .22 revolver.

It is a brand new Kimber Pro Carry II, .45, 4 inch. It is a custom package though from Gander Mountain. It has a black slide, silver bottom half of the gun, with wood grips w/Kimber Laser. What do you guys think about this pistol? Also how hard are they to take down? What cleaning do they require because I read somewhere that they have self lubricating slides. How reliable is it? How accurate is it? Will it take +p ammo? +p+?? What rounds would you recomend for defense rounds? 185 or 230Gr hollowpoints? Are reloads ok? Sorry so many newb questions. I am super excited but want to make sure that I am getting a great pistol for a good price. It is going to cost me barley over 1k.

Thanks guys!

Nut up or Shut up!

Last edited by User Name; 07-13-2010 at 04:41 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2952 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

With every firearm that is purchased new, you will have a "users manual". Before shooting your new, fine, beautiful handgun, read the manual cover to cover. This will tell you about lube, ammo, maintenance. As a general rule-of-thumb, any place where metal-to-metal contact is, add a drop of oil.
I would use new ammo (no reloads, no gun show plastic baggie), at least for the first 500 rounds as a break in period.
Kimbers have a reputation of being fairly accurate. Each gun is different.
Congrats on your new purchase.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 07-12-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Lot of questions my friend....First off, read the manual. I have a Kimber Pro Carry myself and I'm more then happy with it. They are easy to clean once you learn how to deal with the little wire tool they give you and how to reinsert the slide lock without scratching the frame. Don't panic, it's not rocket science.
They are not self lubricating and will need oil, your owners manual will cover this.
Mine is very accurate and reliable but as with any weapon you have to find what ammo it likes. Also, with any 1911 you may find that it likes one magazine over another so you can play with them too. There are a number of good mag makers out there. I use Tripp Research mags in mine for practice and carry, they are outstanding.
The Kimber will shoot +p and this is also in the manual. A steady diet of +p will wear the weapon faster so I only shoot them when finding my carry load and then when cycling my carry load for fresh ammo and to make sure I can still hit what I want with it.
The bullet weight will be your choice and what you feel comfortable with. I personally don't want to be on the business end of any 45 but I prefer the 230gr flavor. 230gr +p Federal HSTs to be exact but there are a number of good choices. Try a few and see what your pistol likes. I'll echo dan again and say give the gun 500 round or so to break in before you start testing SD rounds.
I think you'll be happy with the weapon and if you have any questions there are a couple of 1911 guys here that can help you out.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have a pro carry 2, but what you described sounds like a pro crimson carry 2.

Read these:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/kimber-pro-carry-ii-leaves-bit-desired-29113/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/my-first-time-my-kimber-24745/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/kimber-pro-carry-ii-friends-23547/

Also look for other 1911 and ammo test threads.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #5

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Sounds like a great 45 and I love the look of a blue slide on a stainless frame with nice wood grips. Saw a Hi-Power that way and it made my heart flutter. No doubt a Kimber 45ACP would look great that way as well.

Good advice above. Good luck and I think you'll love the pistol!

Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #6

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Run plenty of FMJ factory ammo through it. The links Goju posted (mine is the first one) is a good place to start.

I cleaned the gun before my first outing. After the range day I cleaned it again, but changed to Mobil 1 Synthetic oil to lube the pistol.

I had some FTFs and slide locks when it shouldn't have, but I have purchaesed a few Tripp Research mags to see if it is the gun, mags, or just breaking in issues.

If you plan to carry it, make sure you put enough rounds through it to really get to know the weapon. Me personally, I won't carry it after break in, until I can put at least 200 rounds through it without any FTFs/stoppages/issues. I would also suggest whatever you decide to carry for SD ammo, make sure your pistol can shoot a good amount of it without you seeing any issues as described above.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Old 07-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #7

Let me start off by saying thank you guys for the information filled replies. I aprechiate it since I am a newb to 1911's. When I get new mags I will probably go with Tripp Research. Thanks again for the great information guys! Sorry for having soo many questions. I will definatly post up a range report after I get it and some pictures as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I have a pro carry 2, but what you described sounds like a pro crimson carry 2.
YES thats what it is. A pro crimson carry 2. Thanks I didnt realize that until you said it ha!

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
Hey guys, so I just got my first handgun, well not quite. Its on hold, untill the 18th. I am going to pick it up and pay for it on the 18th. The only other pistols I have are a Glock 19, and an old German .22 revolver.
Is there a difference between a handgun and a pistol?

Old 07-13-2010, 01:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Is there a difference between a handgun and a pistol?
Yes there is. WHen you run out of ammo with a handgun your are done with it, but when you run out of ammo with a pistol, you can still pistolwhip the aggressor.

e fluctibus irruit in hostem

Comsubin for ever!!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:18 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 139

I think he means his first "real" handgun.