first 1911 help, but 9mm - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > first 1911 help, but 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

In general, target guns are fit to closer tolerances with less "forgiveness" built in. The original GI 1911s (military issue) were built loose but were extremely reliable and could take a beating and still shoot with reasonable accuracy. In man's quest for perfection, like 1 inch groups at 50 yards, the 1911 changed from a good combat weapon to a more finicky target weapon. When it comes to carry, adjustable target sights are not the best as they have sharp edges and tend to snag on holsters and clothing.

Little of what I said applies to the high end semi custom and full custom guns. Yes they are extremely tight with tiny tolerances but they are hand fit by master gunsmiths and perform as they should...

Old 02-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I target model is fit tighter therefore has less places for dirt to get. So if you are carrying a really tight fit weapon it can get dirt in places that can make it not work properly.Same can be said about leaving it in some nightstand drawer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
In general, target guns are fit to closer tolerances with less "forgiveness" built in. The original GI 1911s (military issue) were built loose but were extremely reliable and could take a beating and still shoot with reasonable accuracy. In man's quest for perfection, like 1 inch groups at 50 yards, the 1911 changed from a good combat weapon to a more finicky target weapon. When it comes to carry, adjustable target sights are not the best as they have sharp edges and tend to snag on holsters and clothing.

Little of what I said applies to the high end semi custom and full custom guns. Yes they are extremely tight with tiny tolerances but they are hand fit by master gunsmiths and perform as they should...
ah, i see okay. the Loaded might just be my better option then. thanks for the info everyone.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:14 AM   #23

NGIB, you seem to have a lot of experience with a lot of 1911's. so hopefully you can answer this and anyone else.
PARA PX189SR STD SA 9MM 5IN 10RD SS $924.00 SHIPS FREE

is this another model i should look at? or the loaded a better option? also, does para have a lifetime warranty?

Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #24

Looks like a double stack to me but then it says 10 rounds?

This is the gun I was talking about, the Para LTC. It's a single stack, 4.25" bushed barrel - like the Colt Commander. This link is for a black gun but I know they made them in stainless as I had one (in .45)...

Para LTC 1911 9mm New in Box! PCX99R : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #25

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'm thinking it's not a double stack but I can't say 100%. I will say I have not seen a Para I didn't like. Look around auctions and shops and look for used ones. You just don't see them hardly at all. That says to me people keep them. I own two (LTC and P16) that I will not part with. Totally reliable and more accurate than I can shoot them most days. THey are expensive but to me they are worth it.Plus buyAmerican fansmight like them ore now with the plant in Pineville, North Carolina (I think I got that right). One think I've always liked about Para is they all seem top have less felt recoil that you might think they should have. Some say it'stheir spring system but I really se nothng in there that looks different enough to cause his.

They make a LTC in 9mm now too if I remember right.It's the 4.75 Commander length. It's not stainless though. This is my LTC that has done a lot of holster time and had thousands o rounds through it.THis pis is a few months old. I don't have those grips anymore. But the finish is in the same shape.

Bottom line though if you can afford a Para you will not be sorry you got one. At least I never did.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #26

Useless factoid. Para did not pick the name LTC out of thin air. In military rank, a Navy O-5 is a Commander, in all the other services an O-5 is a Lieutenant Colonel - abbreviated as "LTC". Para wanted to show that this gun is a good clone of a Colt Commander...

Old 02-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Looks like a double stack to me but then it says 10 rounds?

This is the gun I was talking about, the Para LTC. It's a single stack, 4.25" bushed barrel - like the Colt Commander. This link is for a black gun but I know they made them in stainless as I had one (in .45)...

Para LTC 1911 9mm New in Box! PCX99R : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I'm thinking it's not a double stack but I can't say 100%. I will say I have not seen a Para I didn't like. Look around auctions and shops and look for used ones. You just don't see them hardly at all. That says to me people keep them. I own two (LTC and P16) that I will not part with. Totally reliable and more accurate than I can shoot them most days. THey are expensive but to me they are worth it.Plus buyAmerican fansmight like them ore now with the plant in Pineville, North Carolina (I think I got that right). One think I've always liked about Para is they all seem top have less felt recoil that you might think they should have. Some say it'stheir spring system but I really se nothng in there that looks different enough to cause his.

They make a LTC in 9mm now too if I remember right.It's the 4.75 Commander length. It's not stainless though. This is my LTC that has done a lot of holster time and had thousands o rounds through it.THis pis is a few months old. I don't have those grips anymore. But the finish is in the same shape.

Bottom line though if you can afford a Para you will not be sorry you got one. At least I never did.
Quote:
Useless factoid. Para did not pick the name LTC out of thin air. In military rank, a Navy O-5 is a Commander, in all the other services an O-5 is a Lieutenant Colonel - abbreviated as "LTC". Para wanted to show that this gun is a good clone of a Colt Commander...
Fun factoid.

wow, i dont know what to do. i have the money for either one. i love both. decisions decisions.

i just saw that Para does offer lifetime warranties so that's a plus too since Springfield does as well.

though i wouldn't mind the 'hi cap' of the para, do they make hi cap mags for the Loaded? Or are they just extended mags?

The only reason i wasn't too keen on the para ltc is for the fact that it wasn't the full barrel. but it definitely looks great.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #28

I leave you with this thought. Yup, I've owned a ton of 1911s and if I was buying one in 9mm - I'd get the Springer. No real reason except I've been completely satisfied with every Springer 1911 I've owned...

Old 02-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #29

Quote:
I leave you with this thought. Yup, I've owned a ton of 1911s and if I was buying one in 9mm - I'd get the Springer. No real reason except I've been completely satisfied with every Springer 1911 I've owned...
thanks,

i think i'll be doing the Springer loaded. I'm sure there will be much more support and information from the internets since it's more common weapon. as well as upgradeables and replacements.

thanks!