first 1911 help, but 9mm - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > first 1911 help, but 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
i can't tell with the picture, maybe it's just my rookie noticing it. but does it have the extended ejector port?
Yes it will have a flared & lowered ejection port. The only real value is it keeps the brass from being dented if you reload. One thing for you to consider is that 1911s have always needed quality magazines to run properly. There is a large market for quality 1911 magazines for .45 ACP caliber guns so makers such as Tripp & Wilson satisfy that need. Most folks use these high quality magazines as the factory mags are generally not that good. As far as quality magazine support for 9mm 1911s - I really don't know as they are not that common and only recently have companies like Taurus & Rock Island entered the market. Just food for thought...

Last edited by NGIB; 02-10-2011 at 11:35 PM.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Yes it will have a flared & lowered ejection port. The only real value is it keeps the brass from being dented if you reload. One thing for you to consider is that 1911s have always needed quality magazines to run properly. There is a large market for quality 1911 magazines for .45 ACP caliber guns so makers such as Tripp & Wilson satisfy that need. Most folks use these high quality magazines as the factory mags are generally not that good. As far as quality magazine support for 9mm 1911s - I really don't know as they are not that common and only recently have companies like Taurus & Rock Island entered the market. Just food for thought...
thanks for the info. i have noticed on threads about people immediately getting new mags and specifically talking about Wilson.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 27

You cetainly won't go wrong with Wilson mags.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem."
Ronald Wilson Reagan, 1911-2004, 40th President of the United States of America

Old 02-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #14

can someone tell me the differences between a springer loaded and a target? is it just the sights?

Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #15

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
can someone tell me the differences between a springer loaded and a target? is it just the sights?
Loaded's generally have night sights, Loaded Targets have adjustable sights. I own one of each...

Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And since you have two, I think you should make me a deal on one of them. I have a J-Frame .38spcl plus some cash with your name on it....

Old 02-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Loaded's generally have night sights, Loaded Targets have adjustable sights. I own one of each...
for a first timer purchase, which is a better preference you think?

both are gunbroker nib for about 950 and may have to bite the bullet soon.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #18

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The target models are usually a little tighter fit than the loaded models. This can lead to better accuracy to be honest the gain you get is not so much that it makes one model better over another. I have a 9mm target model and it is an extreamly accurate pistol. But with that comes the less places dirt can get into it because it is really tight fit. And it would not be good to carry around or leave in a night stand to keep the house safe.

If it was me and this was a first or a one gun house situation I would lean to the loaded over a target model. You can always upgrade it later if that's your preference.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
The target models are usually a little tighter fit than the loaded models. This can lead to better accuracy to be honest the gain you get is not so much that it makes one model better over another. I have a 9mm target model and it is an extreamly accurate pistol. But with that comes the less places dirt can get into it because it is really tight fit. And it would not be good to carry around or leave in a night stand to keep the house safe.

If it was me and this was a first or a one gun house situation I would lean to the loaded over a target model. You can always upgrade it later if that's your preference.
thanks for the info.

though i'm a little confused though. what do you mean by it would not be a good to carry around or leave in a night stand to keep the house safe?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:04 AM   #20

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I target model is fit tighter therefore has less places for dirt to get. So if you are carrying a really tight fit weapon it can get dirt in places that can make it not work properly.Same can be said about leaving it in some nightstand drawer.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson