Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > first 1911 help, but 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default first 1911 help, but 9mm

Hey Folks,

I'll be getting my first 1911 and i want it to be in 9mm format. This will be for gun range fun so i want it to be cheaper when buying ammo.

Specifically, after reading around on threads and learning some minor things on materials. Stainless steel is probably the best since, for me it looks better for style. Also, less maintenance (surface maintenance) versus parkerized.

So can you assist on a stainless steel 9mm 1911? I saw the Springer Loaded and Targets. difference in those? Bud's has them sold out but on my wish list. My LGS has .45acp which i don't want. I saw a couple of Para's on Buds for about 800 900.

Folks recommended me the RIA Tactical for 429 NIB but i wasn't too keen on the idea on the parkerization and the maintenance on it.

My original budget was 600 - 700 but being that my criteria is a little specific. Stainless, 9mm and 1911 model, i may have to increase my budget.

What can i do, if i have to, for 1k or under. I got my tax return and some money from an inheritance but i don't want to go through all of that.

thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Until Rock Island got in the 9mm 1911 game, they were all very pricey. I think Taurus has advertised a 9mm 1911 as well but it may just be a mirage as they has a habit of doing that. Not sure what your worries are with parkerized guns or what maintenance issues you're concerned about. I have a number of parked guns and they don't require any special care - no more than blued guns. Also, stainless WILL corrode just like any steel - it's just more resistant...

Old 02-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Until Rock Island got in the 9mm 1911 game, they were all very pricey. I think Taurus has advertised a 9mm 1911 as well but it may just be a mirage as they has a habit of doing that. Not sure what your worries are with parkerized guns or what maintenance issues you're concerned about. I have a number of parked guns and they don't require any special care - no more than blued guns. Also, stainless WILL corrode just like any steel - it's just more resistant...
because i'm doing my research i had registered on another site as well and i got this from another site on parkerization.

Quote:
Parkerization is a finish that is applied to regular carbon steel. You need to keep it oiled regularly. It will be much more suseptible to rust than stainless steel. The finish will also wear off around parts that move, such as your thumb safety, grip safety, etc. Once the finish is worn off, you're down to raw steel and if not kept wiped down and oiled, it will rust just like any other piece of raw steel. If you plan on keeping the gun in a holster, the finish will also wear off along the sharp edges of the gun as the gun is drawn and holstered frequently. These factors need to be taken into account before purchasing and it will all depend on how you plan on using the gun and what you want the gun to look like.

I live in a humid climate and if I touch blued or parkerized metal with my bare hand without wiping it off, you put that gun in the safe and come back a month later there will be oxidation where I touched the bare metal. I don't know if I have extra salty or acid oils in my hands, but I have first hand experience as to what will happen to blued guns if I don't wipe them off completely before I put them away. My experience with parkization is that it is more suspetible to rust than bluing. Bluing and parkerization are two different processes.

For me, my blued guns are typically safe queens. They get treated with a little more respect. I keep them fully oiled when I store them and take care not to get scratches in the finish. My stainless guns are my shooters. I treat them a little more harshly than I do my blued guns because there is finish to hurt. I don't worry about making sure I wipe all of my fingerprints off the metal. I've even been known to put them away without cleaning them after range trips. I know that as long as I don't go years without maintaining my stainless guns, they will clean up just as good as new the next time I have time to clean them.
or am i just over analyzing?

I still wasn't understanding the difference between parkerization and blued.

Again, i'm new to the firearm world so i dont know much maintenance it'll be and making sure i get the right tools,wipes,cleaners/oils.

Last edited by marshall; 02-10-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall

or am i just over analyzing?

I still wasn't understanding the difference between parkerization and blued.
Yup I think you're overly concerned where none is warranted. Both blueing and parkerization are chemical processes that change the surface of the steel to provide corrosion resistance. Blueing tends to be more costly than parkerizing simply because the surface prep for blueing (some serious polishing & buffing) is labor intensive. Again, any steel will corrode if left in a poor environment but with reasonable care there's nothing to worry about...

Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Yup I think you're overly concerned where none is warranted. Both blueing and parkerization are chemical processes that change the surface of the steel to provide corrosion resistance. Blueing tends to be more costly than parkerizing simply because the surface prep for blueing (some serious polishing & buffing) is labor intensive. Again, any steel will corrode if left in a poor environment but with reasonable care there's nothing to worry about...
well that's good then.

Do you have recommendations? This weekend my county will be having a gun show and i'll be checking out. depending on there, i may or may not make my first purchase.

What other names does the 1911 go by? I've seen like GI Expert, American Classic Commander and it confuses me when looking.

two of my LGS have 1911 but not in 9mm. just the PT 1911 which i was thinking of getting, but people say 600 is too much for it.
i really love the mods on it.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #6

I have very little experience with 9mm 1911s. They are a fairly rare breed as most folks that want a 1911 want it in .45 ACP. I did own an Armscor for a while and it was a good gun. I am not a Taurus fan but their 1911 is an OK gun and I've owned a couple (in .45). You are going to be at the mercy of the sellers probably as 9mm 1911s just aren't that common. If it was me, and I cound find a Rock Island Tactical (dovetailed sights, beavertail, etc.) I'd go down that path...

Old 02-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #7

Quote:
I have very little experience with 9mm 1911s. They are a fairly rare breed as most folks that want a 1911 want it in .45 ACP. I did own an Armscor for a while and it was a good gun. I am not a Taurus fan but their 1911 is an OK gun and I've owned a couple (in .45). You are going to be at the mercy of the sellers probably as 9mm 1911s just aren't that common. If it was me, and I cound find a Rock Island Tactical (dovetailed sights, beavertail, etc.) I'd go down that path...
thanks.

this guy?
Rock Island 1911 9MM Tactical Handgun Part #AC-RI1911TACA 9MM

say i went this route below for a .45acp
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911TAC-NP.aspx
would it be easy? cheap to convert to a 9mm? Even worth it?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Yup, that's it. I've owned them in .45 and they are a solid first 1911...

Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Yup, that's it. I've owned them in .45 and they are a solid first 1911...
i can't tell with the picture, maybe it's just my rookie noticing it. but does it have the extended ejector port?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

i choose parkerized over stainleess. i like the look of parkerized or blued better. never had an issue with parkeried weapons in the military in humid salty environments. doesnt take much but a oily rag and an occasional wipe to keep em good.

if you like the look of stainless go for it. but i dont find them any better than parkerization for upkeep.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...