Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   First 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/first-1911-a-85147/)

Squawk 02-25-2013 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went to the local gun range late yesterday in search of hi-cap 1911 9mm. I ended up purchasing the Rock Island Armory 1911a2 22 TCM/9mm. I immediately ordered some VZ grips as soon as I got home. Will be doing a range report in the coming weeks.

I know that 1911 in 9mm are frowned upon by the 1911 crowd, but I couldn't justify spending the extra money for .45 (ammo and cleaning supplies) when I have all the necessary supplies for 9mm. So please don't flame. When the market calms down, I will be getting a 1911 in .45 ACP.

$580 after tax for a 17 round 1911 9mm.

qwiksdraw 02-25-2013 05:46 PM

You better hurry up with the range report, some of us get impatient!

Don't mind the caliber snobs, a 9MM 1911 is nothing to apologize for. Nor is a 22 cal 1911. But you have both in one package...in anybody's book that is cool.

Squawk 02-25-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwiksdraw
You better hurry up with the range report, some of us get impatient!

Don't mind the caliber snobs, a 9MM 1911 is nothing to apologize for. Nor is a 22 cal 1911. But you have both in one package...in anybody's book that is cool.

It's actually a weird cartridge. 22 TCM. About .50 a round. Similar to .223/5.56 but in a shortened cartridge. I bought it for 9mm but will definitely have to try it out when I can find the 22 TCM at my local range or Gun Store.

It claims 2050 FPS. That's pretty good out of a 5" barrel. To swap between calibers is as simple as swapping the barrel and recoil spring.

bartwatkins 02-25-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squawk (Post 1153679)
I went to the local gun range late yesterday in search of hi-cap 1911 9mm. I ended up purchasing the Rock Island Armory 1911a2 22 TCM/9mm. I immediately ordered some VZ grips as soon as I got home. Will be doing a range report in the coming weeks.

I know that 1911 in 9mm are frowned upon by the 1911 crowd, but I couldn't justify spending the extra money for .45 (ammo and cleaning supplies) when I have all the necessary supplies for 9mm. So please don't flame. When the market calms down, I will be getting a 1911 in .45 ACP.

$580 after tax for a 17 round 1911 9mm.

Awesome - this was the same 9mm that I was talking about in the other thread (where you asked about entry level 9mm 1911's)!!
Great choice!

fuzzy23 02-25-2013 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have one as well just got last week have about 200rds 9mm and 100rds tcm shoots very nice. I ordered ammo online at ammosupply warehouse $22 for box of 50. CTD carries the tcm as well but I won't order from them.


Attachment 87563

misterballistic 02-27-2013 07:41 PM

I think with modern processes and higher reliability that the argument against a 9mm 1911 is becoming moot. Sentimentality and tradition aside.

I think problems with 9mm 1911's being jam-a-matics, and bad .45 to 9mm conversions are becoming things of the past.

For me, there's more to the 1911 than the fact that it uses the .45acp. I like the feel, easily swappable parts, and above everything else I like the SAO trigger that I cannot find in other platforms including the BHP.

Certainly with the high cost of ammo I'm going to be looking for a 9mm 1911 down the road since it's getting expensive to shoot 200-300 rounds of factory .45acp during a practice session. Also, I like the 1911 platform so there's really no other options.

Is the RIA barrel ramped?

StainlessSteel215 02-27-2013 07:42 PM

Sweet looking gun dude!

qwiksdraw 02-28-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squawk (Post 1153722)
It's actually a weird cartridge. 22 TCM. About .50 a round. Similar to .223/5.56 but in a shortened cartridge. I bought it for 9mm but will definitely have to try it out when I can find the 22 TCM at my local range or Gun Store.

It claims 2050 FPS. That's pretty good out of a 5" barrel. To swap between calibers is as simple as swapping the barrel and recoil spring.

And from what I've read, that "weird" 22 caliber is also LOUD!

Cool!

steadyshot 02-28-2013 12:28 AM

Nice pistol, I like it.

canebrake 02-28-2013 09:56 PM

I'm interested in your opinion of the 22 TCM. Haven't heard much on it other than it's expensive due to availability. Keep us in the loop.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:29 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.