Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   First 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/first-1911-a-58765/)

apowers1214 02-25-2012 07:19 PM

First 1911

Finally got my first 1911 from CDNN sports the Taurus .38 super with the gold accents. I have already found a guy to get rid of the gold. Any ideas on what recoil spring to use seems really heavy from the factory.

Olympus 02-27-2012 03:12 AM

I'd shoot it first before I started worrying about replacing the recoil spring.

trip286 02-27-2012 03:21 AM

The way I figure it, trained engineers with a lot of experience and incentive to do their best job (they have families to feed) decided what weight recoil spring to put in that gun.

To change that, to me, is a slap in their face. Almost like saying "I know more than you about the way you make your living, even though this is my first"

Don't take that as a personal attack. Its my opinion. Run the gun. See if it works before you change stuff.

apowers1214 02-27-2012 03:34 AM

I shot it today and I just don't know how I feel about it.

trip286 02-27-2012 03:43 AM

Well, what was wrong with it?

mes227 02-27-2012 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apowers1214 (Post 720196)
Any ideas on what recoil spring to use seems really heavy from the factory.

A lot of them feel heavy out of the box, a combination of a fresh spring and the rest of the gun being tight. I'd put 500 rounds through it before I started changing anything.

Axxe55 02-27-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 721726)
The way I figure it, trained engineers with a lot of experience and incentive to do their best job (they have families to feed) decided what weight recoil spring to put in that gun.

To change that, to me, is a slap in their face. Almost like saying "I know more than you about the way you make your living, even though this is my first"

Don't take that as a personal attack. Its my opinion. Run the gun. See if it works before you change stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mes227 (Post 721812)
A lot of them feel heavy out of the box, a combination of a fresh spring and the rest of the gun being tight. I'd put 500 rounds through it before I started changing anything.

i shot my SA Loaded Micro Compact 45 today, and the recoil spring on it is heavy, but i know that it will lighten up as i put mor rounds through it. the pistol is amazing! i am glad i made the plunge and bought it now, as this is the first compact 1911 45 i have shot or owned.

the only changes i plan on mine in the future are an extended slide stop release, differnt grips when i find something that i think looks really good on it, and i plan on changing the ambi thumb safety to a single sided one.

Durangokid 02-27-2012 05:22 AM

The extended slide release can be a problem. I tried one when I was shooting IPSC. The darn thing locked the slide a few times right in the middle of string. Over the years I have found that if John M. didn't put it on the orginal 1911 I may not need it. Be careful about changing your return spring. A too light spring can cause damage to your frame.:)

Axxe55 02-27-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durangokid (Post 721837)
The extended slide release can be a problem. I tried one when I was shooting IPSC. The darn thing locked the slide a few times right in the middle of string. Over the years I have found that if John M. didn't put it on the orginal 1911 I may not need it. Be careful about changing your return spring. A too light spring can cause damage to your frame.:)

my American Classic II 1911 45 has the extended slide release, and it works great with no problems. i just need the extra leverage for my thumb to release the slide when changing mags.

i have no intentions of changing the recoil spring at all. it's just heavy with it being new and i know it will soften up with some use.

Soliferrum 02-27-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apowers1214 (Post 721750)
I shot it today and I just don't know how I feel about it.

thats cause its a .38. get the standard .45 and if you think its iffy then, man i dont know what to tell you.