first 1911 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > first 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

I found the receipt with the model info, it's a mil-spec. Still don't know all the differences between the models. Looking for some advice about customizing it.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

psycho- you know it- I am very pleased with it- awesome gift.

byron- you may be on to something; however I did some dry firing when I got home and noticed that I have in fact been slightly pushing my wrist to the left in anticipation. It is VERY slight- but it is enough to send those rounds off to the left like that. But you are right, we were at an indoor range shooting a black target and Honestly I couldn't tell where that front post was. I plan on shooting a lot more before I upgrade the sights though. I still don't know if I want adjustable or fixed. The sights are awesome, I just think they look goofy and when I am aiming at a black target they are worthless. And that pin coming out just makes me like fixed sights even more. I have adjustable sights on my ruger 22/45 target model and they are awesome though.

undumb- you are very lucky. I wanted the mil-spec- a beautiful gun. I like the sights on them too. However, I wouldn't trade my RO for any other now that it's mine.

Last edited by comeback_kid; 12-28-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I also have the RO, I love it. Once you get use to it and get the sights adjusted and work out the finger issue, you will reap the rewards.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #24

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron0022 View Post
Yesterday while at the range I caught myself not ensuring I had equal space between both sides of the front sight post when I shot to the right a couple of groups. This issue with not being able to see the sights easily sounds like your problem to me, especially if you are not doing so with your other handguns. I have a Taurus PT1911 , which everyone seems to hate, yet I haven't had any trouble out of, so sight acquisition isn't a problem for me. Go ahead and buy some night sights, you will be glad you did.
Not everyone

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #25

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by undumb View Post
I found the receipt with the model info, it's a mil-spec. Still don't know all the differences between the models. Looking for some advice about customizing it.
Start with magazines, maybe Wilson Combat. Then grips possibly. Then maybe night sights. and on and on and on! A $700 1911 will soon cost a $1,000.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #26

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeback_kid View Post
psycho- you know it- I am very pleased with it- awesome gift.

byron- you may be on to something; however I did some dry firing when I got home and noticed that I have in fact been slightly pushing my wrist to the left in anticipation. It is VERY slight- but it is enough to send those rounds off to the left like that. But you are right, we were at an indoor range shooting a black target and Honestly I couldn't tell where that front post was. I plan on shooting a lot more before I upgrade the sights though. I still don't know if I want adjustable or fixed. The sights are awesome, I just think they look goofy and when I am aiming at a black target they are worthless. And that pin coming out just makes me like fixed sights even more. I have adjustable sights on my ruger 22/45 target model and they are awesome though.

undumb- you are very lucky. I wanted the mil-spec- a beautiful gun. I like the sights on them too. However, I wouldn't trade my RO for any other now that it's mine.
I like the Glock style sights, the ones with the white stripe coating the inside edge of the rear sight, makes it easier for me to gauge the gap on the front sight. Maybe take a look at some of them for it, might help ya out. Hossfly, Im glad to see someone else here likes them.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:53 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'ma try and stick with the sights it came with for now. They are only a problem when I am aiming at a black target in lower light situations like the indoor range I was at. Hopefully that pin won't work its way out again- if it does, off to springfield- and that's a few weeks with me down a gun when I just got her. If for some reason it does happen again, I will have to decide whether or not I just want to send it off or if I want to get new sights all together... if I choose the latter then I am faced with a lot of options... fixed or adjustable? 3 dot? night sights? The options are endless. I saw a fixed night sight that i thought was pretty cool- the rear had one dot in the middle between the two posts... Anyways I'ma be shooting tomorrow so we will see if that pin comes out

Update: just got done shooting 200 rounds outside. The sights were easy to pick up even on black targets because of the sunlight. The pin stayed well put today and I am hoping it is no longer an issue. I figured out how to hit my target now.... I am not a great shot yet but I am no longer hitting WAY to the left. Dryfiring/switching to my ruger .22 really shows me any movement/flinch. The gun ran flawlessly and I loved every minute of it. Sadly I cannot get enough... And am running out of spending money. If I had the money I would shoot it all day long. Here's a pic of one of my targets - I wasnt trying to get a tight group- just hit where I was aiming ( which changed from torso to head) . I still shot a little to the left at first but once I figured it out I aimed at the head and managed to get some shots on. This was only 15 yards

Last edited by comeback_kid; 12-29-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Target/pics... This was when I first started. Towards the end I got to where I could shoot a cranberry juice container from 20 yards every shot, and occasionally I would hit a soda can at 20 yards. So I'm getting better... I am hoping that one day I will be able to shoot it as well as my ruger 22/45. I can shoot squirrels out of trees with that thing

forumrunner_20111229_134902.jpg   forumrunner_20111229_134939.jpg   forumrunner_20111229_135019.jpg  

Last edited by comeback_kid; 12-29-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #29

Likes Given: 1

You'd be surprised how much high visibilty sights would help. I have Tru-glo TFO's on two of my1911's and one muzzleloader. They made a big difference. Sight aquisition is much faster, there's no mistaking those bright green dots.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yea ill be sticking with the black ones for now,and as long as the pin stays put in the rear I may get a dot on the front one later on. I have black factory rears on my .22 and a fiber optic front which is all I need really. 3 dots do seem appealing though. Anyone know what cut this is? I've heard bo-mar but I've heard other things also.

forumrunner_20120101_125144.jpg