first 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > first 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default first 1911

I got a Springfield range officer for Christmas today. This is my first 1911 and only my second pistol; my first being a ruger 22/45. I wanted a mil spec or gi model (I prefer the plain Jane look) but due to poor salesmanship I got a range officer. I have always hated the giant rear sight. Anyways now that I got that out of my system... I do LOVE this gun. I have been fondling her all day only dreaming of the moment I finally get the chance to run some 230 grain 45 ACP through this fine piece of machinery. The weight and the cold hard steel with the wooden grips just feels so damn good in my hand. I am not an expert but the trigger is my favorite out of all my guns. This is just a beautiful tool that I am confident will bring me years of pleasure; being my first 1911 it has a special place in my heart and I will treat her with the respect and care she deserves. Bad cell phone pic- hopefully soon I will get my moms camera and get some good photos. Would yall reccomend I fieldstrip it and clean her up before I go shooting? I mean its clean but I think I remember reading something where this guy wad talkin about how he likes to remove the old oil and relube before he shoots a brandnew 1911. Any tips or reccomendations are welcome. Merry Christmas

forumrunner_20111225_202449.jpg   forumrunner_20111225_202528.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #2

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Congrats on the new piece, its really up to you on what you do before you shoot her. You can field strip her,give her a basic visual inspection and make sure that the rails are lubed, then reassemble...or just lock the slide back and run a dry patch through the barrel. Either way is fine

Enjoy your first 1911

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #3

I field striped my RO the day I bought mine and found that the rails needed some extra live from what the factory applied! Enjoy! Shoots like a dream!

Old 12-26-2011, 02:05 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

just to add, once you field strip/clean. reassemble take to the nearest range, load a Magazine, insert said magazine, activate the "bang" switch , clean, Repeat. enjoy!

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 12-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #5

That's a great Xmas gift!... Enjoy it!

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Old 12-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeback_kid View Post
I got a Springfield range officer for Christmas today. This is my first 1911 and only my second pistol; my first being a ruger 22/45. I wanted a mil spec or gi model (I prefer the plain Jane look) but due to poor salesmanship I got a range officer. I have always hated the giant rear sight. Anyways now that I got that out of my system... I do LOVE this gun. I have been fondling her all day only dreaming of the moment I finally get the chance to run some 230 grain 45 ACP through this fine piece of machinery. The weight and the cold hard steel with the wooden grips just feels so damn good in my hand. I am not an expert but the trigger is my favorite out of all my guns. This is just a beautiful tool that I am confident will bring me years of pleasure; being my first 1911 it has a special place in my heart and I will treat her with the respect and care she deserves. Bad cell phone pic- hopefully soon I will get my moms camera and get some good photos. Would yall reccomend I fieldstrip it and clean her up before I go shooting? I mean its clean but I think I remember reading something where this guy wad talkin about how he likes to remove the old oil and relube before he shoots a brandnew 1911. Any tips or reccomendations are welcome. Merry Christmas
Nice lookin' machine ya' got there! YES, go through it before you cap any rounds in it.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Everything I have read advertises this as the basic competition ready gun. Im sure you could win with plain gi models but ill take every advantage I can get haha. I have never competed but it has always been a dream of mine. Now that I got my 1911, once I run some rounds through her and gain some practice I will definitely get competitive- competition just seems like a lot of fun to me. I know a guy who shoots IDPA I will have to talk to him about that and get involved. I've just never had a gun to bring.

MrWray- Thanks, and I will

Kalepas- Great to hear!

rigjumpr- That's the plan... hopefully tomorrow I will be able to shoot. I've just been so busy with Christmas stuff that I haven't been able to get down to a safe shooting location. I fear that once I start, my wallet will slim down significantly.

Jkl- yes it is! and yes I will!

MarkF- I have decided I will- It seems to be well lubed but the lube seems kind of "gritty". Plus it will just be nice to get to know my gun before I even shoot it.

EDIT: Shes cleaned- relubed, and ready for action

Last edited by comeback_kid; 12-26-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #8

Default Me, Too!

I must have been a good boy last year, cause Sandy Claws dropped my new (to me) Springer under the tree! Can't wait to get her out to the range and get a few rounds down the pipe! Here are a couple happy snaps...

p1010001.jpg   p1010002.jpg   p1010003.jpg  

Old 12-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Nice pistol Kid. I know what you mean about that rear sight & prefer the Novak ramp sight like the Loaded has. But take it to the range & try it out before changing it. Might actually end up liking it. If this was a display pistol, the preservative they usually come with may have been cleaned off, but it is fun to field strip, inspect, clean & relube a new pistol, even if it isn't needed.

But, if th preservative has not been cleaned off, then I'd suggest you do that. That stuff is not a good lubricant & heat from shooting can cause it to turn real sticky. Could cause some unnecessary mis-feeds, etc. which dosn't make for a fun first range trip.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Mad jealous your realllllllllll lucky