First 1911 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > First 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

This should clear things up, As i am Legally able to purchase a fire arm, My wife can indeed be there with me and put it under her name, the "straw buyer" law refers to someone who cannot legally purchase a fire arm, I E a felon. I posted this in response to a question about the "straw buyer law", so my wife buying me the shotgun because i didnt have my orders was legal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Straw buying as defined by the federal law

A straw purchase is any purchase whereby the purchaser is knowingly acquiring an item or service for someone who is, for whatever reason, unable to purchase the item or service themselves.

A straw purchase is not per se illegal in most cases, except as noted below. For example, someone may purchase an automobile for another who, due to poor credit, cannot purchase it themselves. The purchase is not illegal; however most financial institutions (ie Banks) have very strict policies regarding this unscrupulous practice; if the other party defaults on payment, the original purchaser would be liable for the debt even if s/he could not collect the debt and/or repossess the car from the other party.

However, the term is widely used within the context of United States federal gun laws, whereby a straw purchase is defined as any purchase from a dealer holding a Federal Firearms License where the buyer conducting the transaction is acting as a proxy for another person. The law does not distinguish between someone who is purchasing on behalf of a person who legally cannot purchase or possess a firearm, and one who is not. In the United States, straw purchases are a felony violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can also be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the ultimate possessor. One of the questions on form 4473 is “I am the buyer of this firearm” and the purchaser must answer honestly yes or no, by checking the appropriate box in ink. However, purchase of a firearm as a bona fide gift for someone who can legally own such a firearm is permitted. <------------

Many gun shops have jointly participated in programs (such as: “Don’t Lie For The Other Guy”) to deter such purchases.

Another example of an illegal straw purchase involves alcohol; these purchases are particularly common as persons under the drinking age (21 in the United States) frequently request that a person above the legal age purchase alcohol for them. If intent can be proven, this action is illegal and punishable according to state and federal law.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
You- " i relized i had forgotten my orders at home so the sale's men let her buy it for me"

Even if your intentions weren't criminal, you still broke the law.

BUT, intentions can get you the Nobel prize...........
As defined in the above post, if you tell me i broke a law i would be glad to hear what one and have the law posted, according to the straw law as defined above, me nor my wife broke no law as i am able to purchase and own fire arms. if you need any more laws defined PM me and ill be glad to talk

Old 01-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Either the folks at that gun shop are just a-holes, or the salesman is in love with that gun and wanted it for himself. Either way, that is not the way to conduct a business and I would go elsewhere.
I think you would be happy with the springer, I own two Springfields and I think they're the best thing since pre-sliced bread.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #14

Went and picked it up today, and i must say other then only having one mag with it, its not a bad gun and the first i have bought that came with a holster and a mag holder for 2 mags... I cant wait to get to the range later today and test her out, ill do a rang report soon as i get back home.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #15

I wouldnt knock springfield, I shot a G.I. 45 from a freind in the Navy and its groups were TIGHT. He had only positve things to say about it.

An Ameture does it until they can get it right, a Pro does it until they can't get it wrong

Old 01-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket View Post
So aside from the worst service i have ever seen, they are the only gun shop in the area with that gun.
Half of the pleasure of buying guns (and other expensive articles) is the purchase itself. I would have walked away, but I was just like you when I was younger, so I know what that "itch" feels like,...... It is not meant to be a negative comment, but when I was younger and I saw something I liked I just had to have it "right now", and I made various bad purchases on this account. Over time you will learn to walk away. I am in a similar situation: I've seen this Taurus 1911 I want, and it is the same dealer where I some month ago bought my SIG P250. I have had some problems with the P250, and the dealer has not been very helpful, so I decided to take my business elsewhere. He is the only one in my area that has that 1911, and if I order it from Taurus I will have to wait 6-12 months before I can get my hands on one, but that is probably what I will end up doing....

But now that you got it congrats....

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******