First 1911..... - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > First 1911.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 View Post
Tame the spring itself. Its just the standard gov't spring and its hard to re-assemble and it seems to make the slide difficult to slide all the way back at first when re-installing it, like it gets caught. I don't see any bends or kinks it it though.
You are probably putting it in backwards!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-04-2009, 05:33 AM   #32

Doc, skull has the answer.

Run it! Shoot at least 500 to 1K rounds through it before you change anything.

Get to know the 1911 and enjoy the effort the engineers have put into this gun. Who knows, you may fall in love with it just the way it is!

If you do decide to make changes, make one at a time! (Trust me on this one!)

If you make two changes and the gun fails to work, which change do you repair?

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 09-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #33

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
No, and I don't even know what you mean by "tame the recoil spring"?
I figured it out, my problem was that I've never owned a 1911 and didn't get instructions. So I was trying to take it apart and put it together like my other semi auto's. As you know, and I now too know, you install the recoil spring last thing through the front of the fully assembled gun. I was trying to assemble the slide then install in completed. I feel like such a Nub now, but I'm glad I figured it out B4 I screwed up the spring.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 09-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #34

Quote:
I figured it out, my problem was that I've never owned a 1911 and didn't get instructions. So I was trying to take it apart and put it together like my other semi auto's. As you know, and I now too know, you install the recoil spring last thing through the front of the fully assembled gun. I was trying to assemble the slide then install in completed. I feel like such a Nub now, but I'm glad I figured it out B4 I screwed up the spring.
That's why we are members here! Glad you got the procedure down.

Never struggle with a firearm issue. Post your questions and let the guys & gals that have had the same problems help you. Trust me, we all want to save you the time and expense of re-inventing the wheel!

Many of us wish we had such a great resource when we were "learning". I had to write letters, send them by pony express (while walking uphill both ways, in the snow..did I get them all in?) and wait two months to get things fixed!!

Today your post will more than likely get you the answer in less than 24 hours. (Likely 24 minutes!)

Not to mention visual aids like these:

http://www.m1911.org/1911desc.htm

The Sight 1911 Cut-Aways

- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 09-04-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #35

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
That's why we are members here! Glad you got the procedure down.

Never struggle with a firearm issue. Post your questions and let the guys & gals that have had the same problems help you. Trust me, we all want to save you the time and expense of re-inventing the wheel!

Many of us wish we had such a great resource when we were "learning". I had to write letters, send them by pony express (while walking uphill both ways, in the snow..did I get them all in?) and wait two months to get things fixed!!

Today your post will more than likely get you the answer in less than 24 hours. (Likely 24 minutes!)

Not to mention visual aids like these:

YouTube - the BEST colt .45 1911 animation collection ( with labeled parts )

YouTube - Animation of a 1911 pistol's operation

http://www.m1911.org/1911desc.htm

The Sight 1911 Cut-Aways
But Cane ESPECIALLY likes the crappy Creed song that accompanies the animation. Syd Barrett would roll over in his grave.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #36

Quote:

Yeah, but how deep was the snow???

I think part of my problem is being too stubborn to ask for help half the time. I've always learned by trial and error.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
But Cane ESPECIALLY likes the crappy Creed song that accompanies the animation. Syd Barrett would roll over in his grave.
I just turn the sound off and Syd calms down.

Quote:
Yeah, but how deep was the snow???

I think part of my problem is being too stubborn to ask for help half the time. I've always learned by trial and error.
I know you! You're the one that beats his head against the wall just to experience how good it feels to stop.

Park your ego and post the questions! WE're not here to judge, just to help.

- orangello

Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #38

Quote:
I know you! You're the one that beats his head against the wall just to experience how good it feels to stop.

Park your ego and post the questions! WE're not here to judge, just to help.
That would be me

Old 09-07-2009, 01:47 AM   #39

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 1911a-1 g.i.

Quote:
I'm getting my first 1911 tonight, a Stainless Steel Springfield 1911-a1 GI. I was hoping to upgrade the sights and maybe eventually the Trigger, hammer and get a match barrel. Anyone have any suggestions for a good source for quality parts?
Have the same only in blue as well as a blue Kimber 45 ACP. Love them both. Also a Colt 38 Super in blue. I'm more comfotable with the 1911 platform than the other systems, yet I do own some double action pistols. I know you're going to enjoy that Springfield. Good shooting, Dogwalk (Jim)

Old 09-15-2009, 03:28 AM   #40

I'm trying to figure out if its safe to shoot +P ammo in the 1911. There is nothing in the owner's manual about it. Does anybody know???????