First 1911 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > First 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
Ah I see. Yes I know alot of people who had that firing pin block and hate it.

I'd probably replace it later myself....kind of like how I'd take out the revolver gun locks...just one more thing that could go wrong.
I've fired 1911s with and without a firing pin block. I can just barely notice the firing pin block there, especially not after its been worn in.

A lot of the problems with Colts are nothing more than internet hype. If I had the cash, I'd pick up a Colt or two without flinching. Keep in mind too, that this is coming from someone who has drunk more of the Kimber Koolaid that anyone else on the planet. If someone offered me a dog turd with the Kimber logo on the side, I'd gladly take it and thank them for it.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #22

Eh. I might go with the Taurus with the Rail....or most likely the Mil-Spec Springfield.

I like the emblem and the feel of the Springfield and I'll just buy a new beaver tail and slide release.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:45 AM   #23

I've settled with the Springfield.

Should be a decent first time 1911 and I'll just get a long beaver tail and an extended slide stop/release.

Anyone got some extras? Haha.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
I've settled with the Springfield.

Should be a decent first time 1911 and I'll just get a long beaver tail and an extended slide stop/release.

Anyone got some extras? Haha.
Take a look at the Springer "tacticals". You can get the extra go fast goodies on a mil spec without the headache of turning your gun over to a 'smith. The don't cost too much more than the standard mil specs either.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Dude, seriously. I"ve been researching 1911's for a couple of months. I've done alot of readings on reviews and the like on 1911.com and other forums. Plus I've read reviews on gunsale shops. My very knowledgeable gunsmith for over 30yrs has also advised me. "Do not get a springfield 1911." The springfields are a crapshoot, loose tolerances, and problems out of the box. The Taurus or para is better according to what I've read and been told.

Personally, I'm going with a kimber. The kimber is the best deal for the package from the extensive research I've done and I'm pretty anal.

Just giving you more to consider. Also check out Dan Wessons. If a couple hundred bucks is what's holding you up, just wait and it'll be worth it.

Just trying to help and not trying to be obstanate. I want you to get the best bang for the buck.

FYI, I'm putting my kimber on 3month lay away tomorrow!! WOOT!!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #26

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

At the $1K point, the Dan Wessons are the best I've owned. Fit & finish is flawless and they're very accurate. I haven't seen problems with Springers and I've owned 5 of them. The Loaded is a very good mid-grade gun. I used one in pin shoots for over a year until I found my Kimber Gold Match and it was a great pistol.

Sorry, but I wouldn't recommend a Taurus or Para over a Springer - ever. I've had 2 Taurii and while OK, they're nothing to write home about. Para's are hit and miss but I've had good luck with the single stack full-size versions. A friend has a GI Expert - and it's not bad for an entry level model - I'd choose it over a Taurus in a heartbeat. Anyway, opinions are like anal orifices - we all have at least one...

Old 07-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

True NGIB, just offering some considerations and I trust my unlcle with his opinions of 1911's over my own.

If Jiro gets a Springer I hope it turns out to be a great gun and as long as he's happy with it then we all should be happy about it.

Did I mention I'm putting money toward a Kimber tomorrow?

Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #28

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
True NGIB, just offering some considerations and I trust my unlcle with his opinions of 1911's over my own.

If Jiro gets a Springer I hope it turns out to be a great gun and as long as he's happy with it then we all should be happy about it.

Did I mention I'm putting money toward a Kimber tomorrow?
Folks on the national forums love to slam Kimbers but I can't understand why. I've owned a half-dozen of them and they've all been very nice pistols.

Y'all probably can see by my posts that I trade guns a lot - but that's how I find the ones I really like. Got 2 trades working right now in fact, it's fun to rotate stock and try out new toys. All I'm trying to do is share the benefit of my experience with 1911s - and I've had a bunch of them...

Old 07-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #29

Hrm....Dan Wesson is a good point.

I'm a CZ nut and CZ owns Dan Wesson.

But they never get those in my store. I'd have to find one somewhere....and not online.

CZ-USA -> DAN WESSON Valor

I like the Valor Full Size...but then in Dan Wesson I really like this

CZ-USA -> DAN WESSON CCO Bobtail

Old 07-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

None of the stores here could even get ma a cbob.