Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > First 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I currently own 4, but in the past few years I've owned over 2 dozen different 1911s. If you know you're going to set one up to your personal specs, the Springer Mil-Spec is a great platform to build on. Make sure it's a Mil-Spec and not a GI though as I see lots of GIs being advertised as Mil-Specs. Easy to spot though as the Mil-Spec has angled cocking serrations and the GIs are vertical.

The Springers used forged frames and their build quality and customer service is very good. Don't worry about the parts being forged in Brazil as IMBEL has been doing this for a long time and makes a good product. For an entry level gun to build on - these are hard to beat for the money. The only drawback in my opinion is they only come in parkerized or stainless - and I really like blued guns.

For value and "historical" reasons don't overlook a Colt. My latest purchase was a NIB Colt Commander for $695 at my local store. It's accurate, reliable, makes a good carry gun - and it's a Colt. The fact that it's a nice blue finish was the final selling point for me as it is just a pretty gun. Should you decide to carry one, a Commander is just a little lighter and shorter which helps some. Mine is staying as is - I like simplicity over bells & whistles.

As far as Kimber goes, I currently own a 1st series (circa 1997) Gold Match and it's a great target quality gun. I've owned some recent models as well and they're solid guns. Since you intend to build one to your needs, why spend the extra money up front for things you may not want or need.

Anyway, this is my 2 cents on the matter and here's a pic of my Colt and my Kimber...

Old 07-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
It was a .357 round actually same diameter though. Louder boom boom.

Right, .38 caliber bullet. I thought it was only one boom dude?

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 07-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #13

Thing about the colts is I hear alot of bad things....I mean like weird fire pin etc etc.

Or is this not true anymore and they went back to the old way?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Main complaint about these new 1911s...the slide stop is very flat and hard to reach now and I'd need an extended slide release for it to feel comfortable to me
You should be operating the slide stop with the thumb of your left hand. You right thumb should only operate the safety. Proper hold of the 1911 is essential to proper function.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Double post

Found this. I'm liking this. I'm sure I can find a used one around somewhere.

Although I think I saw an SIS in my local gun shop for around 1000 as well.....I just...kinda don't like the SIS slide thing....I like the grip though.

Kimber - Continuing The Legacy
When I see that SIS edition, all I can think of is that someone should be buying it for their sister.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #16

I use the two thumb grip now. Much more stable hold for me and much more accurate. Slide release operation with right hand is much more comfortable for me.

Not changing the way I started gripping just because of a 1911. If I can get an extended slide release then I'm going to do that.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #17

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Thing about the colts is I hear alot of bad things....I mean like weird fire pin etc etc.

Or is this not true anymore and they went back to the old way?
The series 80 Colts use a firing pin block and so do Kimber, S&W, and many others. I've never seen it as a problem myself but some folks think that Satan himself though this one up. Also note the extended slide stop & safety on my Kimber, I put these on as this is my main competition gun...

Old 07-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Jiro, if you're looking for something with a "historic" feel to it, go for a Colt. I've only owned to Colt firearms, so I'm far from an expert, but they worked flawlessly.

They offer a WWI replica which is quite nice. But if you want to modify the gun, a 1991 series model would be a better idea. They are nice guns to build upon.

And don't worry about the slide release. I use my right thumb to operate it, too. An extended release should take all of five minutes to install.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #19

Ah I see. Yes I know alot of people who had that firing pin block and hate it.

I'd probably replace it later myself....kind of like how I'd take out the revolver gun locks...just one more thing that could go wrong.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #20

Eh....I don't like Colt right now guys....well not modern colts.

Way to ****ty towards Civilians. I'm not giving them a damn DIME.