firing pin stop - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

firing pin stop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3523 Times on 2021 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Wouldn't replacing the main spring accomplish the same?
Most 1911 owners do not replace that spring, but they do not hesitate to replace the recoil and firing pin spring (and we know that springs lose tension).

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Wouldn't replacing the main spring accomplish the same?
Most 1911 owners do not replace that spring, but they do not hesitate to replace the recoil and firing pin spring (and we know that springs lose tension).
Theoretically, but the difference in force required to push the slide back wouldn't necessarily be as dramatic. Plus, the feeding issue was there even when my current main spring was still new.

I will be changing my main spring pretty soon though.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my suggestion is if you are having feed issue problems, start with the magazines, not the FPS. start with some quality magazines, like Tripp, McCormack or Wilson Combat.

another question arises. what is the intended primary purpose of this pistol? reason i ask is, what you are talking about the radius of the bottom of the FPS can help with slowing down the slide and allow using lighter recoil springs. but most people who do this are competition shooters or those building a target pistol.
danf_fl Likes This 
Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Feeding issues are normally attributed to the ammo, then mags (if the firearm has not be mangled by a kitchen table gunsmith).

I would try factory ammo and quality mags before making attempts at changing function of the firearm.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #15

^^^^100% this^^^^

this is exactly where i would start before trying to change the dynamics of how a 1911 works or functions.

another thing that needs to be considered or addressed, is what is your skill level in modifying gun parts? do you have the proper tools?

not trying to be an azz or anything, but just being realistic. normally when modifying gun parts to make them work, sometimes you have to make other adjustments or modifications to make them work in harmony.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #16

I've tried many different kinds of ammo with several mags.

But this is all besides the point. I was asked if i had reliability issues, and the answer to that is yes. But even if that wasn't an issue, I'd still replace the cheap Taurus mim parts with quality ones, and included in that would be changing out this FPS.

Some people appear to be under the impression that I'm trying to change the intended function of the pistol. However, it would be more accurate to say that I am returning the pistol to it's ACTUAL intended function. The 1911 was INTENDED to use a FPS with a flat or only slightly beveled bottom. It was only changed because of complaints from the army that it was difficult to rack the slide with the hammer down.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
another thing that needs to be considered or addressed, is what is your skill level in modifying gun parts? do you have the proper tools?
I do not have extensive experience in modifying firearm components. But I have found it difficult to acquire experience without actually doing it, lol. Besides, if I mess it up, then I'm only out a 13 dollar part.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I understand that.

If there is a reliability problem and Taurus has a lifetime warranty, why not let them fix it?
(Then it is done by the manufacturer who is made aware that there could be a problem. You can learn by seeing what action they took to fix the problem. Win for you and win for maufacturer.)

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Last edited by danf_fl; 04-16-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #19

i'm with Dan. it has a warranty, please use it.

honestly, i don't think changing the FPS would solve the problem if it's feed issue. i understand where you are coming from and understand your reasoning, but 1911's have been using a beveled FPS for many years now with no problems. yes you are correct, that it can help slow down the speed of the slide, but i just don't believe it will solve a feeding problem. it might, but IMO i just don't see it.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #20

Thank you guys, I often forget that Taurus has a lifetime warranty I can take advantage of! I will definitely mention it to them and see what can be done.

If they fix the feeding issue, however, I will probably still change out the FPS (I'll at least try it and see what effect it has and then decide if I want to keep it). It's not a permanent change and can be easily undone if I don't like the results.