Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Firearm in the trunk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 02:52 AM   #31
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7311 Times on 4246 Posts
Likes Given: 9421

OP, If its not obvious by now CA has different laws, and LA County can have more restrictions than the State does. I live in Santa Clara County. Here I have to have the gun and any ammunition locked in separate containers. I can have loaded mags in the ammo container. They must be transported in an area that is not accessible to the driver or any passengers (as in in the trunk, and passengers need not be present in the vehicle). A truck bed toolbox is not considered to be a locked container. But a locked camper shell is. Go figure. All that having been said I drive literally down the county line (Santa Cruz County being the other one) to and from the range. If I were to be pulled over on my way to/from the range I would make a point of pulling over into the other county than the Sheriff's car behind me. I know it is not really a big thing (and any LEO in the state has authority statewide) but just to tweak them I would do it. Fortunately the last time (many years ago) I was pulled over with a gun in the truck (a loaded HD shotgun on the passenger seat) the deputy just said that I should have it covered up.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:16 AM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 120 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 127

HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES

Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 12025 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported. A rifle or shotgun that is defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Penal Code 12276 or 12276.1 must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 12026.1.

REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS

California Penal Code section 12285(c)(7) requires that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and in a locked container when transported.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #33

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 690

A little over a year ago I took a nice long road trip from Idaho down through Utah, AZ, NM, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, GA, FL, SC, NC and TN then back. What a hassle with gun laws in each state and whether they had CCW reciprocity with Idaho. Before you cross a state line you have to change the way you carry your guns, what a nightmare.

I think I'm staying right here in Idaho from now on!

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #34

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
OP, If its not obvious by now CA has different laws, and LA County can have more restrictions than the State does. I live in Santa Clara County. Here I have to have the gun and any ammunition locked in separate containers. I can have loaded mags in the ammo container. They must be transported in an area that is not accessible to the driver or any passengers (as in in the trunk, and passengers need not be present in the vehicle). A truck bed toolbox is not considered to be a locked container. But a locked camper shell is. Go figure. All that having been said I drive literally down the county line (Santa Cruz County being the other one) to and from the range. If I were to be pulled over on my way to/from the range I would make a point of pulling over into the other county than the Sheriff's car behind me. I know it is not really a big thing (and any LEO in the state has authority statewide) but just to tweak them I would do it. Fortunately the last time (many years ago) I was pulled over with a gun in the truck (a loaded HD shotgun on the passenger seat) the deputy just said that I should have it covered up.
That's CA for you, one screwed up state.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:55 AM   #35

Fuc* california

Old 11-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #36

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTchad
Fuc* california
Careful, Newsom might send his happy police after you!
Actually, I kind of like the guy, for his fiscal policies.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 11-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #37

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTchad View Post
Fuc* california
If my son didn't live in Palm Springs I would never set foot in that liberal hell hole ever again.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #38

Liberal hell hole lol!

Old 11-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #39

Here in KY you can carry in your car without a CCDW permit as long as it's in the glove box, console or factory seat pocket on the rear of the seats. Per KRS state law updated a few years back.