Firearm in the trunk? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Firearm in the trunk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTchad
Glore, im going to a meeting for lapd Wednesday, I'm thinking of seeing if I'm eligible
Let me know how it goes, I hope it works out for you, it's a right I feel all law abiding citizens should have regardless of location.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #22
ET1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glore View Post
That's a broad and ignorant statement
I agree that there are many LEOs that are up on the gun laws in their state. Unfortunately I have encountered several here in Georgia that have no clue what the laws are. From open carry, to how to carry in a car without a permit, to being able to carry in a restaurant that also serves alcohol, etc. I will never just take what a LEO tells me as the correct law. I always check myself.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1 View Post
I agree that there are many LEOs that are up on the gun laws in their state. Unfortunately I have encountered several here in Georgia that have no clue what the laws are. From open carry, to how to carry in a car without a permit, to being able to carry in a restaurant that also serves alcohol, etc. I will never just take what a LEO tells me as the correct law. I always check myself.
I also was told that I could never open carry with conceal license, or if even the slightest bit of the gun was showing, I could be charged with violating gun laws... neither of which is true. And my favorite, which I didn't hear, but apparently is told so many times it's considered true, one can not carry any more then 2 pistols (sometimes told as 1) under the conceal license. I know of one attorney that is chomping at the bit for someone to actually be charged, because the state law is clearly written, but the LEO community believes it to be different.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:31 AM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1 View Post
LEO are not lawyers, judges or prosecutors. there function is to enforce the laws only. so by following the law, one is usually safe from malicious prosecution, but in the event someone tries to arrest or detain someone who is abiding by the law, they invite criminal and civil charges upon themselves.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:20 AM   #25

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
LEO's are notorious for providing incorrect legal information.

YOUR state law matters.

For example, I was told that the magazine had to be unloaded, ammo stored separately from the firearm, and the firearm in a locked case in the trunk.

NONE of that is true. MI law is quirky, and really requires legal review, and an LEO is a poor read of the law.
What you have cited are the conditions for legal transport under the federal "safe passage" laws. Problem is they only protect you while in transit from point A to point B, not a safe harbor for in-vehicle carry. Most states classify a loaded gun in a vehicle as a form of concealed carry...even if left in plain sight. It's best to know the laws better than the local LEO, you may not avoid an inconvenient situation but 9 times in 10 you will eventually persuade someone you are legal. Your lawyer will have to handle the other 1 time...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 11-16-2011 at 05:23 AM.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTchad View Post
So a LEO has informed me that I am able to keep a handgun unlocked and at reach in my trunk as long as I keep the loade magazines separately in the glovebox. Is this true? Something just doesn't sound legal here. He was LAPD
To end your confusion move out of CA to AZ where there aren't any crazy laws and you can carry openly or concealed w/o a permit anywhere except in a bar.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:16 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Most states classify a loaded gun in a vehicle as a form of concealed carry...even if left in plain sight. It's best to know the laws better than the local LEO, you may not avoid an inconvenient situation but 9 times in 10 you will eventually persuade someone you are legal. Your lawyer will have to handle the other 1 time...
in my example, a loaded magazine that is separated from the firearm, even in the same case in NOT considered a CC weapon. But, many LEO's believe it is and advise (incorrectly) that it has to be unloaded. just like the "limit" of only having TWO firearms carried under CC license. Two makes zero sense, because the license says "pistol" not pistols, which would incorrectly people to believe the law limits to one, not two, but the law also has a clause that states the plural collectively applies to the singular unless otherwise stated. LEO's don't understand the intimate details of the crazy potpourri of the state laws... hell most lawyers don't either!

Old 11-17-2011, 02:28 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

If you're really serious about what the law says just Google it for your state and read what it says.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:53 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know that in New Mexico, provided you are not barred from possessing a firearm, you are allowed to keep your weapon either concealed or in plain view.

In NM, your vehicle is considered an "extension of your sovereign property" and as such you have as much right to defend it as your own home. Because of that, you can have a loaded weapon. I found this out about a year ago when I pulled into a DWI checkpoint and a rookie Sheriff Deputy attempted to give me a toungue lashing when he saw my 1911 in the seat next to me. He asked if it was loaded and I told him that it was. He asked if I had a concealed carry permit and I told him that I did. He then told me that it was illegal to possess a loaded firearm at a DWI/DUI Checkpoint. Long story short, the Patrol Lieutenant came over and adjusted the guy and that's how I learned this...... Good to know!

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-17-2011, 04:01 AM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06 View Post
I know that in New Mexico, provided you are not barred from possessing a firearm, you are allowed to keep your weapon either concealed or in plain view.

In NM, your vehicle is considered an "extension of your sovereign property" and as such you have as much right to defend it as your own home. Because of that, you can have a loaded weapon. I found this out about a year ago when I pulled into a DWI checkpoint and a rookie Sheriff Deputy attempted to give me a toungue lashing when he saw my 1911 in the seat next to me. He asked if it was loaded and I told him that it was. He asked if I had a concealed carry permit and I told him that I did. He then told me that it was illegal to possess a loaded firearm at a DWI/DUI Checkpoint. Long story short, the Patrol Lieutenant came over and adjusted the guy and that's how I learned this...... Good to know!
Glad to hear my home state is not a total loss.