Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Firearm in the trunk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Here's a link to U.S. gun laws that may be helpful.

Handgunlaw.us

Also, I believe the NRA has a website which has good info.

Here's a link to it. http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

I believe there is a federal law covering transportation of handguns when traveling through states.

Main thing, as already posted, don't rely on forum info & there's even a chance that the local LEOs may be mis-informed.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #12

Thank u so much guys. I guess I can't have my gun in my car unless it's in a locked box

Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #13

Liked 1761 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

Yea, California is pretty resrictive. I had to make a trip there a few years ago. I don't remember everything. But I researched it before I went. It was so resrictive and stupid I just left my carry gun locked up in my safe at home. Here in Colorado you can keep a loaded handgun in the car within reach. You can not conceal one one your person without a permit. But just about anywere else in the car is ok.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #14

It's pretty dumb here, even the people in Los Angeles sickens me. Majority think they can judge just anyone lol.. And the women, I won't even start on that lol

Old 11-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 832 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 179

LEO's are notorious for providing incorrect legal information.

YOUR state law matters.

For example, I was told that the magazine had to be unloaded, ammo stored separately from the firearm, and the firearm in a locked case in the trunk.

NONE of that is true. MI law is quirky, and really requires legal review, and an LEO is a poor read of the law.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux
LEO's are notorious for providing incorrect legal information.

YOUR state law matters.

For example, I was told that the magazine had to be unloaded, ammo stored separately from the firearm, and the firearm in a locked case in the trunk.

NONE of that is true. MI law is quirky, and really requires legal review, and an LEO is a poor read of the law.
That's a broad and ignorant statement

Old 11-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #17

Yeah I'm sure alot of responsible Leo's know their laws

Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #18

Glore, im going to a meeting for lapd Wednesday, I'm thinking of seeing if I'm eligible

Old 11-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #19
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1799 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 556

When I lived in the PRK the firearms and ammo had to separated and the unloaded firearm in a locked case. Kind of difficult in a PU. I used to put both in locked cases. I dont see where the law would have been made more lenient in the PRK. Stupid laws got some guns stolen. Thieves would catch someone leaving the range and rob them. Spotter at the range would let them know what was worth stealing or whether it was a leo.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 832 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glore View Post
That's a broad and ignorant statement
MI firearm laws are complex and confusing. Most LEO's do not take the time to understand the complexities in their advice or enforcement.

In addition, in my small town, I have had some discussion with LEO's in town about some other issues, and their legal understanding if often totally wrong. I'll give you an example, MI it's illegal to set up broad form DUI check points, as ruled by the state attorney general. So, the local geniuses came up with the plan to mark all the tires at a bar and sit down the road pulling over any car with marked tires. Can you spell targeted enforcement? When I challenged the legality with the Sgt (neighbor) he said until someone sued them, it was legal. In talks with the Chief, he said, I can't control what my officers do. By the time the bar figured out what was going on, they were getting hit with state mandated shutdowns and legal defense fees and eventually went bankrupt. Police dept moved on to the next place that served alcohol and continued the process. The irony of their actions, the city lost so much state shared revenue (from lost local state sales taxes), they have had to lay off some police officers, and at times leave the city without any coverage at all.