Firearm in the trunk?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Firearm in the trunk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Firearm in the trunk?

So a LEO has informed me that I am able to keep a handgun unlocked and at reach in my trunk as long as I keep the loade magazines separately in the glovebox. Is this true? Something just doesn't sound legal here. He was LAPD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2011, 06:40 AM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

As an emt I'm not sure what the laws are if you have special privileges.. in nys on long island if your a cop u can carry concealed everywhere. Everyone with a pistol permit here is for target and game only so it can't be on your hip unless you are traveling to and from the range and making no other stops in between.. This is in case you get your car stolen then the gun in now out of your hands and into those of someone who could be dangerous... When u r transporting a gun to lets say upstate the the gun and ammo must be separated by the truck and inside the car.. If you have a connected truck to the inside the car either the ammo or the gun has to be lock but a lockable glove compartment is not go enough... I'd say go to you local police department and if they say u can just get a letter incase one cop doesn't know the laws or just wants to bust your balls...

Old 11-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7022 Times on 4225 Posts
Likes Given: 8461

Well, I live in Illinois and the only time you can be transporting a firearm is to and from a range or to and from hunting. Even then, the weapon must be unloaded and in the trunk of the car. If you don't have a trunk, as in a minivan or SUV, the firearm must be unloaded and in a locked gun case.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21298 Times on 12085 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

see this where there should be a nationwide rule on this and other stupid gun laws. one state you can do this but not that, another says you can dot that, but not this! stupid. i'm glad Texas changed their laws!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I was told by a cop friend of mine, if you don't have a CCW you must store the ammo and gun separately in the car. Ammo in front of car and gun in trunk, or however you want. You can't have a loaded mag in the car. The idea is it is more time consuming to load the gun. Sounds stupid I know, but many gun laws are. Like we can't buy a gun for our kid, but the government can knowingly allow someone to buy 12 ak47 and let them walk across the border.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2788 Times on 1615 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Different states have different laws.
In Florida, you can have a loaded firearm (without CWP) in the passenger compartment as long as it takes a minimum of two moves to get it (open glovebox, grab firearm - ok, grab firearm from seat or under seat - not ok).

Learn the laws of your state and remember that they do not apply to all states.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #7

Liked 1353 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 314

These type issues are state or local laws. The only way to get the answer that will keep you out of jail is to read your local laws.
For example: Where I live, it is fine to keep a loaded shotgun in the back seat of your car, or a loaded pistol in a shoe box in the front seat, as long as the box top is on; and these rules with no license of any kind.

Taking advice from the web can get you in trouble. Taking advice from cops will get you in trouble; many of them don't know the law any better than you, and if one of them gives you bad information it won't help you a damn bit when another cop arrests you.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Google interstate transportation of a firearm. That should clear things up.

EXPENDABLE

Old 11-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Taking advice from the web can get you in trouble. Taking advice from cops will get you in trouble; many of them don't know the law any better than you, and if one of them gives you bad information it won't help you a damn bit when another cop arrests you.[/QUOTE]

You are right on that point. In Ohio I know I can carry in my car with the gun on my person. Now the other rules for carrying in a car are kinda crazy, that's why there is a bill waiting to be passed that will bring some clarity to carrying in a car with and without a conceal permit.
I would hope my cop friend knows the state laws on concealed carry, he kinda teaches a class on it.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59

First paragraph... Off the NRA ILA website. Now, if you think even the NRA is out to get you, there's no help for ya.

EXPENDABLE