Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Firearm in the trunk? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/firearm-trunk-51769/)

EMTchad 11-14-2011 06:33 AM

Firearm in the trunk?

So a LEO has informed me that I am able to keep a handgun unlocked and at reach in my trunk as long as I keep the loade magazines separately in the glovebox. Is this true? Something just doesn't sound legal here. He was LAPD

hockeyjr1 11-14-2011 06:40 AM

As an emt I'm not sure what the laws are if you have special privileges.. in nys on long island if your a cop u can carry concealed everywhere. Everyone with a pistol permit here is for target and game only so it can't be on your hip unless you are traveling to and from the range and making no other stops in between.. This is in case you get your car stolen then the gun in now out of your hands and into those of someone who could be dangerous... When u r transporting a gun to lets say upstate the the gun and ammo must be separated by the truck and inside the car.. If you have a connected truck to the inside the car either the ammo or the gun has to be lock but a lockable glove compartment is not go enough... I'd say go to you local police department and if they say u can just get a letter incase one cop doesn't know the laws or just wants to bust your balls...

winds-of-change 11-14-2011 07:20 AM

Well, I live in Illinois and the only time you can be transporting a firearm is to and from a range or to and from hunting. Even then, the weapon must be unloaded and in the trunk of the car. If you don't have a trunk, as in a minivan or SUV, the firearm must be unloaded and in a locked gun case.

Axxe55 11-14-2011 08:06 AM

see this where there should be a nationwide rule on this and other stupid gun laws. one state you can do this but not that, another says you can dot that, but not this! stupid. i'm glad Texas changed their laws!:rolleyes:

kobel1up 11-14-2011 08:25 AM

I was told by a cop friend of mine, if you don't have a CCW you must store the ammo and gun separately in the car. Ammo in front of car and gun in trunk, or however you want. You can't have a loaded mag in the car. The idea is it is more time consuming to load the gun. Sounds stupid I know, but many gun laws are. Like we can't buy a gun for our kid, but the government can knowingly allow someone to buy 12 ak47 and let them walk across the border.

danf_fl 11-14-2011 09:13 AM

Different states have different laws.
In Florida, you can have a loaded firearm (without CWP) in the passenger compartment as long as it takes a minimum of two moves to get it (open glovebox, grab firearm - ok, grab firearm from seat or under seat - not ok).

Learn the laws of your state and remember that they do not apply to all states.

Chainfire 11-14-2011 09:35 AM

These type issues are state or local laws. The only way to get the answer that will keep you out of jail is to read your local laws.
For example: Where I live, it is fine to keep a loaded shotgun in the back seat of your car, or a loaded pistol in a shoe box in the front seat, as long as the box top is on; and these rules with no license of any kind.

Taking advice from the web can get you in trouble. Taking advice from cops will get you in trouble; many of them don't know the law any better than you, and if one of them gives you bad information it won't help you a damn bit when another cop arrests you.

countryboy 11-14-2011 09:57 AM

Google interstate transportation of a firearm. That should clear things up.

EXPENDABLE

kobel1up 11-14-2011 10:10 AM

Taking advice from the web can get you in trouble. Taking advice from cops will get you in trouble; many of them don't know the law any better than you, and if one of them gives you bad information it won't help you a damn bit when another cop arrests you.[/QUOTE]

You are right on that point. In Ohio I know I can carry in my car with the gun on my person. Now the other rules for carrying in a car are kinda crazy, that's why there is a bill waiting to be passed that will bring some clarity to carrying in a car with and without a conceal permit.
I would hope my cop friend knows the state laws on concealed carry, he kinda teaches a class on it.

countryboy 11-14-2011 10:14 AM

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59

First paragraph... Off the NRA ILA website. Now, if you think even the NRA is out to get you, there's no help for ya.

EXPENDABLE