Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > finicky 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default finicky 1911

I have recently bought an api 1911. Have not had much trouble with it. When completely clean the slide works beautifully.. But get about 40 rds through it and the slide is sticky and feels kinda gritty.. Took it home and cleaned it and works smooth. Is this a general 1911 problem? This is my first 1911 and I don't know anyone with one to ask.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Before a shoot, I put a good amount of Tetra grease on the slide. When I go on a shoot I take some gun oil with me. After a few magazines I apply oil to the slide to keep it clean and smooth. I like to run wet guns throughout the shooting operation.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2756 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

Does "api" stand for American Pistol Institute?

Possible causes could include powder residue from the fired rounds, the pistol breaking in, the pistol breaking, the firearm was not properly cleaned and old residue getting into the slide area, incorrect or not enough lube.

While there are other reasons that this could happen, I would like to know what other trouble you had with it. The slide getting sticky and gritty could be a result from an earlier problem.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

How many rounds have been through it?
What are you using to lube the gun after cleaning?
I'm not a big fan of grease because it attracts dirt more than it will lubricate, but that's just me. I'd rather use something lighter. I'm a big fan of Mobile One synthetic oil. I use 5w30 in my vehicle so that's what I usually have on hand for gun lube.

Like danf_fl said though there are many variables here not mentioned yet like what type of ammo, how many rounds have been though it, what is the slide to frame fit even.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #5

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I think that the grease that you are using to lube your rails is causing the problem. Grease is kinda thick anyways,then whenever powder residue comes in contact with it, it makes it gritty. Try using an oil to lube with, like slip 2000 or even mobil 1 synthetic motor oil motor is awesome. I bet it fixes your problem

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5458 Times on 2850 Posts
Likes Given: 350

I currently own three 1911s from three different makers colt, springfield, and ithaca. All three run fine and dont seem to care when lots are run through them.

Not all 1911s are made the same. Had a kimber got rid of it no longer have a les baer either but that was waaaaaay back in the late 80s.they are a lot better now.

Mileage varies

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #7

Liked 902 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 635

How good did you clean it when you brought it home? Lots of guns are full of cosmolene when yoy get them. That stuff is nasty and smells bad but does its job keeping the gun from rusting. Clean it well and lube it up good and try again. If there is a problem call the maker and inform them. API=ATI?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #8

I don't use grease I use Remington gun oil. I bought the gun from a guy at work who I know maintains his weapons. As far as how many rounds have been through it I'm unsure. Api is a rock Island import from the Phillipines. When I got it I youtubed a video on how to completely tear it down then I tore it down cleaned and oiled it and put it back together. I'll double check this weekend and make sure I clean the exess oil out of the slide rails. And get back to u. Thanks for all the advice

Old 03-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Try this:

Gun Cleaning

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth666 View Post
I don't use grease I use Remington gun oil. I bought the gun from a guy at work who I know maintains his weapons. As far as how many rounds have been through it I'm unsure. Api is a rock Island import from the Phillipines. When I got it I youtubed a video on how to completely tear it down then I tore it down cleaned and oiled it and put it back together. I'll double check this weekend and make sure I clean the exess oil out of the slide rails. And get back to u. Thanks for all the advice
That stuff in a spray can that has Teflon? I never cared for it all that much because it seemed to disappear on me when the weapon got a little warmed up.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson