Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Find a Friend a Holster!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Find a Friend a Holster!

So, as some of you know I made a trade recently for a Taurus PT-1911 in exchange for building a friend an AR-15 platform. Full size, all steel platform. Straight across, I came into the 1911 for nothing but my time and "limited experience".

A veteran member here at the community immediately PM'd me about purchasing it, but I could not possibly let it leave without putting the JD touch on it. It's due back for my final range test and assessment in the next week or so.

So I am asking for suggestions on a quality, carry holster that you 1911 guys use in your daily carry.

This thread will serve as an idea ground for people looking for a daily wear and carry holster for a full sized 1911 pistol.

So, what have you got??

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 04-30-2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Additional info

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I'm honored to be the first to suggest what I feel is the gold standard for In-Waistband holster:

Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe

I wear the same holster for both of my Kimbers, a Pro and an Ultra. With a good gun belt (mine is also Crossbreed) it leaves no discomfort.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Last edited by CHLChris; 04-30-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #3

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree with Chris, but I prefer the horsehide version. Less apt to slip around, at least for me.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I'm honored to be the first to suggest what I feel is the gold standard for In-Waistband holster:

Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe

I wear the same holster for both of my Kimbers, a Pro and an Ultra. With a good gun belt (mine is also Crossbreed) it leaves no discomfort.
FINALLY! I wanted to suggest that since somewhere around 80% of people say it's the BEST, but as I still have 3-5 weeks before mine gets here, I didn't want to give advice on something I don't know anything about.

Is that the combat cut or reg. That's the best picture I've seen, every other pic is taken slightly from the right of where your camera is, and you can't see the cut area very well.

I ordered the horse hide version and a belt with the velcro already installed just in case I decide to use the v-clips.

Does anyone on here use the v-clips?
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a Galco Fletch Holster that has served me well for many years.
It holds the weapon very tight to the body and the thumb break releases
quickly and leaves your thumb right on the manual safety lever.

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 05-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #6

I wear a TTGunleather all day everyday. Love it (love leather). Have one for my 3", 4/4.25", 5", as well as one for my rail guns. Wear it under loose shirt, comfortable, no print and still easy to access.

ROMANS 12:21 - Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.!
US ARMY - '56 to '65 - SFC
Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!
SUA SPONTE

Old 05-01-2011, 04:07 AM   #7

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
Is that the combat cut or reg. That's the best picture I've seen, every other pic is taken slightly from the right of where your camera is, and you can't see the cut area very well.
Regular cut. I'm quite happy with mine. The climate here in Orygun doesn't require horsehide.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 05-01-2011, 04:16 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Regular cut. I'm quite happy with mine. The climate here in Orygun doesn't require horsehide.
Yeah, I kind of did the whole...it cost more = must be better thing.

Actually I never saw anyone mention one way or the other until just before I ordered it, and I saw someone bragging about the horse hide. I figured it wouldn't hurt anything and I figured the color would show through clothes less than the black cow hide.

I ordered the regular cut too. I don't plan on being in daily 'combat' but do plan on carrying it daily and figured more the leather between me and the gun the better.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

+1 for the crossbreed supertuck. I can wear it anywhere in comfort. I also go with the regular cut and it has not slowed drawing the weapon at all. IMO, it's the best holster out there for IWB. PLUS, I can still tuck my shirt in.

If I'm carrying OWB I use a Blackhawk I picked up from Gojubrian a little while back.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #10

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

A 5" 1911 has always been too heavy for me to carry around my waist. I would have to cinch my belt up so tight I thought I'd bust just to keep it from pulling my pants off of me. So I tried shoulder rigs and I had a DeSantis leather rig that was really nice and much more confortable than a belt-style holster. But it pretty much limited me to only carrying when I could wear a jacket.

I had a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe for my SR9c and the dang thing was just too much trouble to get on and off or to try to get a shirt tucked into. I ended up sending it back. I think I'm one of the minority that doesn't care for Crossbreed.