Finally! I bought a 1911!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Finally! I bought a 1911!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Finally! I bought a 1911!

There are very few semi-auto designs I like, the 1911, the HP 35 and the CZ 75, that's it. I'm mostly a revolver shooter, but after shooting a mate's Colt I had to have one.

I looked at Sig and Para-Ordenance 1911 platforms because those are the only ones I can get new in my country and I was set on a P14-45. I was going to buy it today, but I turned away when I was a block from the store. I don't know why but I did.

I decided to go pick it up after work, fifteen minutes before I left my father in law called me and told me he'd seen a nice Colt at a customers house, a collector who sold guns on the net. He's not a gun person, and I didn't trust his judgement on what a "nice Colt" was, but I drove all the way to where he was (a neighbouring city). Man, was it worth it! The "nice" Colt was a new, never fired, 1991 A1 which is not easy to come by in Argentina. Almost all Colts available here are very old, heavily used and have a mix of parts.

I looked at the gun, held it and handed the cash over right then and there. The last surprise of the day was that the gun didn't belong to the collector, he was asked to sell it for some other guy, who turned out to be a friend of mine!

So I'm very happy. I got the exact 1911 I wanted, paid a decent price for it ($800 less than what a Sig costs down here, $450 less than the cost of a Para) and the money is going to a friend of mine.The only thing I'll change are the grips. My father in law is getting a nice single malt and some Habanos for his birthday!

http://tirito.com.ar/Venta/ArmasCortas/Fotos/Colt_1991A1_C761_4.jpg

http://tirito.com.ar/Venta/ArmasCortas/Fotos/Colt_1991A1_C761_1.jpg

I've got to wait for fifteen working days until the paperwork is done, though.

Last edited by Franciscomv; 02-03-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Pictures were HUGE

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2009, 12:30 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

very nice pick up!
too bad about the wait though...
at least you got 15 days to fantasize about how great it'll feel shooting it at the range

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #3

Liked 1420 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
There are very few semi-auto designs I like, the 1911, the HP 35 and the CZ 75, that's it. I'm mostly a revolver shooter, but after shooting a mate's Colt I had to have one.
I decided to go pick it up after work, fifteen minutes before I left my father in law called me and told me he'd seen a nice Colt at a customers house, a collector who sold guns on the net. He's not a gun person, and I didn't trust his judgement on what a "nice Colt" was, but I drove all the way to where he was (a neighbouring city). Man, was it worth it! The "nice" Colt was a new, never fired, 1991 A1 which is not easy to come by in Argentina. Almost all Colts available here are very old, heavily used and have a mix of parts.

I looked at the gun, held it and handed the cash over right then and there. The last surprise of the day was that the gun didn't belong to the collector, he was asked to sell it for some other guy, who turned out to be a friend of mine!

So I'm very happy. I got the exact 1911 I wanted, paid a decent price for it ($800 less than what a Sig costs down here, $450 less than the cost of a Para) and the money is going to a friend of mine.The only thing I'll change are the grips. My father in law is getting a nice single malt and some Habanos for his birthday!

from a fellow addict!!

Keep us up to date as your new becomes YOURS!

My stag grips came from Argentina (on ebay) and I love them!
L to R; Dad's M1911A1, my XSE, my Defender

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-03-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:08 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Congrats on the purchase - looking forward to a range report.

Smaller pictures next time please.

Thanks,

JD

Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry about the pic size, Dillinger! They looked smaller on the website, I edited the post and left the links instead.

Canebrake, I knew you would aprove! I can't wait to take her to the range, but it's going to take a while for the bloody paperwork to be ready.

In the meantime I can shop for grips, magazines and holsters. I'll take any suggestions you guys have on good leather OWB holsters.

Last edited by Franciscomv; 02-03-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

No problem Francisco - but not everyone has high speed internet these days. Large pictures drive those poor bastards nuts... LOL

Glaco makes some great holsters. I have several. If you want a good custom one, Milt Sparks is the man to talk too. His stuff is great quality, but it takes awhile for delivery - so plan ahead...

Nice looking piece of kit though. Looking forward to your range report.

JD

Old 02-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Congratulations on the find! Also looking forward to a range report.
Enjoy it!
Sarge

Exotic wood .45 grip maker
www.thefinergrain.com

Old 02-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #8

Here are my Colt 1991s;.............

P.S. there are a lot of people in the states that like the old Argentine 1911s (they were made on Colt machinery), you see a lot of them being rebuilt and still in use up here.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post

I looked at Sig and Para-Ordenance 1911 platforms because those are the only ones I can get new in my country and I was set on a P14-45. I was going to buy it today, but I turned away when I was a block from the store. I don't know why but I did.

http://tirito.com.ar/Venta/ArmasCortas/Fotos/Colt_1991A1_C761_4.jpg

http://tirito.com.ar/Venta/ArmasCortas/Fotos/Colt_1991A1_C761_1.jpg

congrats on your purchase... im looking to buy first 1911 pretty soon..

and by the way, by habanos, im sure youre referring to cigars, right? if so, you can pass some over to my way. oscuros/maduros only please

-Clemenza, Caporegime, Corleone Family

I'm not saying I'm a Gun Rights activist or an Anti-Gun Rights activist.

I'm a "do-what-makes-sense activist"...and it just so happens that some gun laws don't make sense...