Finally! 72 more hours!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Finally! 72 more hours!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Finally! 72 more hours!

I finally purchased my first 1911. Im the new proud papa of a Colt Rail Gun. I found the all black cerakoted model at a local shop. I got it for about $1190 before tax. Thats about average from what Ive been finding. I cant wait for the three day holding period to be over with to take her to the range. Now I need to find Canes break-in post.

Hopefully this ****ty weather ends in three days. It literally has not stopped raining for two days here in Central Florida.

Quote from Bart Scott, "CANT WAIT!"

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #2

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Congrats on your new purchase! Shoot the snot outta her!

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #3

Thanx............

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 06-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Three days??? Get your CCW and walk out with it when the cash changes hands.

Great choice! Let us know what you think of the new (to Colt's) Cerakote finish and how it holds up with use and holster wear.

Break-in is a criminal activity or Noob mis-speak.

Colt's carbon mags are better than most, the SS mags are the best factory mags out there but do yourself a favor and call Aaron (877.837.9445) at Tripp and order a Cobra Mag. Put the Cobra Mag side by side with ANY 1911 mag and tell me someone builds a mag anywhere near the quality of Virgil Tripps! If you don't agree, I will buy the Tripp from you and pay the shipping both ways!

My money is on you placing a follow-up order with Aaron.

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #5

I was planning on eventually picking up one, or five in the future. I do know I will put on a set of tritiums and a steel MSH. But Im not gonna touch for a couple months to get a feel for the gun first. I dont understand why Colt put plastic on this first place though.

I thought about sending it to Colt to get the tactical package, but it already has some of the features on it. Maybe have him do a trigger and accuracy job on it. I talked to Colt's smith before, he said he could make it a 1-1.5 inch gun at 25. And maybe upgrade the internals to EGW and such. But I'll wait until I fully learn her first.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #6

It's your first 1911 and it's one of the best production makers out there today.

Shoot the snot out of it for at least six months or 2-3K rounds down range before you "upgrade" your purchase. My reason for this time period/round count is that you are new to the platform.

I think you will find any 1911 heads above what you have shot in the past and your Rail Gun to be remarkable compared to most other manufactures' production 1911 offerings. (I'm a big Colt's aficionado, NOT fanboy, but you knew that. Now you will see why this old codger buys the Colt's brand and is a John Moses Browning apostle!)

Please don't change anything (except grips) until you have completed the canebrake "new gun test" and are 100% satisfied with your purchase.

Remember to shoot ball ammo in 230gr vintage for the test. If you get to 200 rounds without a glitch I think you're good to go with PD ammo, but only if there are zero defects with the ball. Best new gun test ammo I have found is good 'ole WWB.

It's reliable and clean compared to most range ammo and the brass is of good quality for reload or trade.

Take notes while doing this test and call Colt's (800)962-2658 if you have any issues. If you have any problems I think you will find Colt's CS Department does it right!

Enjoy your new

(NOT fanboy!)

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #7

Do you like Les Baer suggests and not clean it until you finish the breakin reliability test?

Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #8

Run a jag down the barrel to be sure there's no shipping/shelf storage grease and let 'er rip.

If you don't finish the test in one range visit there's no need to clean it if you plan on completing the test in a week. There's not much in today's ammo that will hurt a new gun barrel with a one week soak while dirty. The marination with the range sweat and carbon/copper dusting will probably help the gun's longevity.

If, on the other-hand, you want to climb into the Colt to lower your learning curve go for it!

Cleaning the 1911 frequently WILL NOT harm the gun!

Check this out for 1911 platform cleaning info;

canebrake's 1911 cleaning suggestions

Be sure you read post # 9 also.

If you have any questions, PM me.

- orangello

Old 06-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Three days??? Get your CCW and walk out with it when the cash changes hands.

Great choice! Let us know what you think of the new (to Colt's) Cerakote finish and how it holds up with use and holster wear.

Break-in is a criminal activity or Noob mis-speak.

Colt's carbon mags are better than most, the SS mags are the best factory mags out there but do yourself a favor and call Aaron (877.837.9445) at Tripp and order a Cobra Mag. Put the Cobra Mag side by side with ANY 1911 mag and tell me someone builds a mag anywhere near the quality of Virgil Tripps! If you don't agree, I will buy the Tripp from you and pay the shipping both ways!

My money is on you placing a follow-up order with Aaron.

cane
I took Cane's advice, and have never looked back !!

Live free or die

Old 06-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Cane will not lead you astray, he knows of what ge speaks. I always look forward to his posts and advice.
Have fun with your new colt, shoot straight, shoot often and enjoy.