Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   factory recommendation question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/factory-recommendation-question-37788/)

Leatherneck1775 02-02-2011 12:42 PM

factory recommendation question

I have a question so I am dipping back in the information well.
The kimber book I got with my gun is telling me that I need to change my recoil spring after every 800 rounds. Are they for real?
firing pin spring every 5000.
and mainspring every 5000.
All recommendations and comments please. I understand 5000 but every 800 seems a little WTF. Am I wrong???

NGIB 02-02-2011 01:45 PM

If it's a sort barreled model - yup - they eat recoil springs very fast. Think about it, you have a lot less slide travel to absorb the recoil and operate the action than you do in a 5" gun. The springs take a pounding to be sure...

hogrider 02-02-2011 01:58 PM

I ran my till it started acting up. Somewhere between 1000 and 1400 rounds. It wasn't acting up bad but I could sure see a difference when I changed the recoil spring. I changed my wifes at 800 as recommended though.

Leatherneck1775 02-02-2011 02:12 PM

is it hard to do?
and is it pricey?

NGIB 02-02-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leatherneck1775 (Post 435325)
is it hard to do?
and is it pricey?

Nope as you already have it apart to clean it. I used to buy a 3 pack of springs from Wolff (or Brownells) as I always have some on hand. Note: not sure if yours uses some form of dual spring or "captured" spring arrangement. I haven't had a baby Kimber in years so mine was an older model...

Dillinger 02-02-2011 02:15 PM

I agree with NGIB, if you have a short barreled model, you definitely need to change them more often, but 800 seems low to me personally unless you have been shooting a heavy diet of +P

I had a full sized Kimber 5" and put a one size upgraded spring in it per Kimber's specs ( I can't recall the weight but Goju can tell you :p ) right out of the box to accommodate for the +P ammo I wanted to shoot and carry. This was after a phone call to Kimber about running +P ammo and I bought it from them at probably twice what I could have got it from off the internet but it was my first 1911. :rolleyes:

I changed that spring out once around 2000 rounds out of paranoia, but I never noticed a decrease or any type of failure with the weapon.

As with any weapon, it's good to check out all the moving parts and "know" your weapon. What is the weight of the spring now? Shoot 500 rounds, pull the spring and see how much weight it takes to collapse it. If it's less than before, think about changing it, if it hasn't shown any wear, repeat at 1,000. :D

JD

Dillinger 02-02-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 435327)
Nope as you already have it apart to clean it. I used to buy a 3 pack of springs from Wolff (or Brownells) as I always have some on hand...

Plus 1 on Wolff Springs. Great choice and a good price for a quality product.

NGIB 02-02-2011 02:25 PM

A 5" gun won't eat springs anywhere near as fast as the little (3"-3.5") ones. I probably change the springs on my full-size guns at 2500-3000 rounds or so and I use slightly heavier than stock variable Wolff springs in mine...

Leatherneck1775 02-02-2011 02:31 PM

thanks guys, its good to have people in the know.
I think it has a capture system because I have to use a paper clip tool to break it down. The spring is 22lbs. and Im a little worried that once I get it apart I wont be able to get it back together. I will get a few replacements on the safe side. any other parts I might want spairs for?
Its a 4 inch barrel. if that helps.