External extractors and your phobia about them
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > External extractors and your phobia about them

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default External extractors and your phobia about them

I own just two guns. A SIG Ultra Compact 1911 3.3" barrel and a Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry 3" barrel.

Put a blind fold on and you wouldn't know a dam difference. Well you would but you know what I mean. But for some reason people swear by only the internal extractor 1911s. But they have no real reason for such devotion.

If your only reason is because "that's how John Moses Browning made it" you're missing out on some good guns.

You are not your extractor.

Last edited by porkchops; 06-14-2012 at 01:54 AM. Reason: name correction by Garadex. Thanks bro!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I agree but it is John Moses Browning not "Jim Browning.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 170 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 102

errrrrr DOH!

Old 06-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This sounds like a sequel to the infamous "decocker" thread.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:12 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark58103 View Post
This sounds like a sequel to the infamous "decocker" thread.
You could be right. But that isn't the intention. Just got into a discussion about the topic today and the guy was like well that's the way it is blah blah blah.

So I thought I would put it to the forums.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:48 AM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchops View Post
I own just two guns. A SIG Ultra Compact 1911 3.3" barrel and a Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry 3" barrel.

Put a blind fold on and you wouldn't know a dam difference. Well you would but you know what I mean. But for some reason people swear by only the internal extractor 1911s. But they have no real reason for such devotion.

If your only reason is because "that's how John Moses Browning made it" you're missing out on some good guns.

You are not your extractor.
It's not a question whether the exterior extractor functions adequately, but of personal preference, the purist as some might call us, myself included feel that the exterior extractor is an answer to a non existent problem, not taking into account that Kimber tried them and had to revert to the original design because of malfunction with their exterior extractor, thats all. Like they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but good for you if you prefer the exterior extractor, and good blind fold argument, but no bites here

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Old 06-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6025 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 432

i just look at as the external being a cheap cost cutting measure making it easier to make a gun that runs ok. it takes some hand fitting and more difficult machining to make the cuts on the slide for the internal extractor.

putting an external extractor on a 1911 is kinda like...
a rolls royce lowrider. it will get ya point a to b but in very bad taste

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

m72law Likes This 
Old 06-14-2012, 04:05 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i don't see a problem with an external extractor, but from a personal preference i would rather have the original internal extractor. many other pistol designs have external extractors and they work just fine, but when it comes to the 1911, i am a purist and want it pretty much as it has been for over 100 years.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #9

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i just look at as the external being a cheap cost cutting measure making it easier to make a gun that runs ok. it takes some hand fitting and more difficult machining to make the cuts on the slide for the internal extractor.

putting an external extractor on a 1911 is kinda like...
a rolls royce lowrider. it will get ya point a to b but in very bad taste

makes me wanna throw-up @ this rollz royce LR. thanks to the single carb Blower w/out the straight port injection poor car

Old 06-14-2012, 04:57 AM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

An external extractor on a 1911 would not be a deal stopper for me as long as the pistol manufacturer had a tract record of his working. But, those with internal extractors will be above it on my wish list. I didn't know Kimber still used an external as mine has internal. I'd read that they tried them, had problems & went back to internal. Guess that is wrong.