Extended guide rod VS guide cap
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Extended guide rod VS guide cap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Extended guide rod VS guide cap

Hello again gentlemen!

I saw a SA operator today for 1888.99 and a TRP for 1700.00+.
Both seemed to have an extended guide rod, I took mine off and put on the cap so it is easier to field strip and clean. According to the dealer, he told me I should keep the extended guide rod on because it shoots alot more accurate from less recoil and something else I forgot. I did really well at 15 yards today, shot the paper out with 230 grain FMJ's. I never shot with my extended guide rod, what do u guys think? Guide rod? Or cap?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2011, 02:38 AM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTchad View Post
Hello again gentlemen!

I saw a SA operator today for 1888.99 and a TRP for 1700.00+.
Both seemed to have an extended guide rod, I took mine off and put on the cap so it is easier to field strip and clean. According to the dealer, he told me I should keep the extended guide rod on because it shoots alot more accurate from less recoil and something else I forgot. I did really well at 15 yards today, shot the paper out with 230 grain FMJ's. I never shot with my extended guide rod, what do u guys think? Guide rod? Or cap?
Conventional wisdom is that the full length guide rod will: 1. reduce muzzle flip 2. prevent the recoil spring from kinking. Whether any of that amounts to anything, who knows. Others here have decades more 1911 experience than I do, so I will defer to them.

General rule of thumb, in my opinion anyway, is to leave the gun as it was built..YMMV

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-14-2011, 03:48 AM   #3

Good starting advice! Love it!

Old 08-14-2011, 03:54 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5922 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

full length guide rods arent need for normal 45acp use in a typical full size 1911. they do not improve accuracy and they do not reduce recoil. for springs under 20# they have no benefits. spring weights above 20 lbs they do help with kinking.

the issue with guilde rods in 1911s is they tend to decrease reliability by introducing more places for the spring to bind or rub against. the halves of the rod can work loose and catch a coil of the spring jamming the gun.

never ever never use a two piece guide rod in a self defense 1911.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-14-2011, 04:31 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I agree with Jon, cause I have a SA loaded and a SA MC Operator. My loaded has a guide rod and my operator has a cap, the operator is more accurate and more reliable. The two piece in my loaded comes loose after about 50 rounds if I don't crank it tight.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:11 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I prefer the regular GI guide rod and recoil spring & cap setup. My Kimber had a full length guide rod and it was a PITA.

Anyway, you can't have one of these if you have a full length guide rod:

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-14-2011, 05:12 AM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

That's great!

I changed out all mine to Wilson FLGR's to keep them tight and for faster field strip. Never had a problem with them.

My range guns are my carry guns.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3059 Times on 1759 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

When the idea of the recoil spring "kinking" without a full length guide was brought to the attention of John Browning by the military, Mr. Browning supposedly said "I designed it to kink."

Paraphrased from Jeff Cooper.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-15-2011, 03:48 AM   #9

I can't seem to find those awesome caps. Any sites?

Old 08-15-2011, 04:06 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The guy that made them is Blind Hogg Gunsmithing. I don't think he's making them anymore.

I'll let you have mine for ten thousand dollars.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams