Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Explain JMB's "Insanity"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Explain JMB's "Insanity"

Jump on this bandwagon. Can anyone, with reason, EXPLAIN Browning's insanity when he designed his Hi-Power?

An external extractor? Had he been given a S&W kool-aid? Had he realized that his earlier 1911 was wrong or inadequate? Was potical incorrectness begining even in his time?

Was it old age? No grip safety - WHY?

Or did this genius develop an even more advanced pistol design (that S&W follows)? Yes, he had to work around his own patients on his 1911, but that does that mean he was misguided, or worse, bought out?

Perhaps, I hope, Master Cane, can enlighten us as to this hipocisy (sic). Given your underline of how "great" your Hi-Power" is by gorknoids, have you become a Dr Jeckel and Mr Hide? I'm kidding..................I think.

Last edited by SHAMUSPI; 08-16-2010 at 01:41 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Wow!

I don't envy your position here in a few hours when the rest of the guys read this thread... LOL

Okay, here are what we like to call "FACTS" about the Hi Power design and how it came to be.

Browning accepted a contract from the French government to produce a new pistol to their standards. Not the least of which had restrictions on caliber size and efficiency, range, capacity and overall size & weight of the weapon.

Browning produced two designs, both of which he submitted patents for in 1923.

Browning died with no pistol patents in place, or production models underway, on this pistol in 1926.

In 1927 patents were granted and FN gave the designs to a Belgian by the name of Dieudonné Saive.

Saive made modifications to the initial design, including a staggered box magazine and then waited for the Colt patents to expire in 1928, before finishing "his" version of the hi Power and submitting it for final testing.

Essentially, JMB did only the very base design on the Hi Power, and he did so with the restrictions of the Colt owned patents were in place.

Bottom line, we don't know WHAT JMB would design given today's technology - but I bet you it would probably last another 100 years based on his track record thus far.

JD

Old 08-15-2010, 11:52 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

JMB did say that that his "new" pistol incorporated changes that he wished he had thought of when designing the 1911.

Too bad we could not have had his genius around for another few decades.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-16-2010, 01:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
JMB did say that that his "new" pistol incorporated changes that he wished he had thought of when designing the 1911.

Too bad we could not have had his genius around for another few decades.
Can you quote what his thoughts were?

Ahh, Dillinger: While I have read SOME of the history, I have not read what JMB is supposedly to have said.

Even given that his original 1911 design may, or may not, have been "perfect", could even he have had second thoughts that his 1911 wasn't?

If so, how can we, as "shootists," say that the 1911 was the end to end all?

Jpyle: What???? Nice, but I don't follow as to my OP (?).

Last edited by SHAMUSPI; 08-16-2010 at 01:39 AM.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:37 AM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAMUSPI View Post

Jpyle: What????
He's saying...."Pass the popcorn, this should be good."

Old 08-16-2010, 01:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Can you quote what his thoughts were?

Even given that his original 1911 design may, or may not, have been "perfect", could even he have had second thoughts that his 1911 wasn't?

Jpyle: What????
I'll look around to see if I can find it. The one part I remember had to do with the sear design.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-16-2010, 01:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Ironic. I just ate a bag of microwave popcorn. It expired June 2010. Think it will kill me?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 08-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Oh hell! If three rounds from an AK-47 in Viet Nam, and 28 years of marriage couldn't put me down, what fear do I have from you guys?

Oh crap, never mind, I'm sorry, please don't hurt me.

MOMMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:

First off, I don't consider you a "shootist", because you started this thread.

Now if you, the thread-starter-wannabe-shootist, wants to compare the 1911 to ANY 9mm on the planet; let alone one requested for design by the god damn French, I fear you are going to have a very, very frustrating existence.

That is all.

Good day Sir!

JD

I SAID: GOOD DAY SIR!!