Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > every fifth kimber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I disagree with the "Kimbers suck" crowd. My experience has always been positive. I believe that Kimber offers the best bang for the buck in terms of quality and features on todays market. I can't think of one 1911 clone manufacturer that have shipped "perfect" massed produced products. Even Wilson has the occasional issue.
In the case of the Custom II, its good enough for LAPD, its good enough for me.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #22

I have 2 Kimbers. Once purchased new just 2 months after it was produced - I am the original (and only) owner of that Pro Carry II. It had issues to begin with. Problem was - that issue was ME. Being new to 1911's AND handguns, I wasn't shooting properly and caused the problem Once I learned a good grip and stance, I've had ZERO issues with it.

My newest Kimber is also older. It is a Stainless II. Made a year BEFORE my Pro Carry II and purchased 1.5 years after my Pro Carry II. It wasn't the cleanest and it took me some time to clean her up. Finally got her to the range. You would have thought that it had 5,000 rounds through her based on the gunk in it, but she shoots straight and true and I (NOT an expert by ANY stretch of the imagination) put groups of under 2" together at 15 yards. Solid, solid, solid. Slide is super smooth with no play at all. Both triggers break right at 4 lbs.

Are they perfect? No. I'd love a Dan Wesson or an Ed Brown, but for the price, the Kimbers are damn good. I'll have a Wesson or a Brown soon though.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern6er View Post
I have 2 Kimbers. Once purchased new just 2 months after it was produced - I am the original (and only) owner of that Pro Carry II. It had issues to begin with. Problem was - that issue was ME. Being new to 1911's AND handguns, I wasn't shooting properly and caused the problem Once I learned a good grip and stance, I've had ZERO issues with it.
This is what causes 95% of "problems" with any 1911. Without a rock solid platform, the action doesn't cycle properly. My Kimber is a "problematic" pistol in the clumsy hands of an inept shooter. When I'm firing it, it's a precision tool. It took me 3 or 4 years to perfect hold and stance.

In this day and age of cheap plastic DAOs, that take little or no skill to shoot, why would one bother to put for work to learn how to shoot a precision pistol?

It doesn't end there though, this mentality can be seen in inferior products all throughout our lives. Most vehicles now come standard with auto transmissions, when they used to be optional equipment. Microwaves have dulled our taste buds. Windows allows millions of people to use computers every day, but it runs poorly and eats a machines resources. It's all about instant gratification today.

To an inexperienced shooter, a 1911 will not deliver instant gratification. To someone who wants or needs a precision bullet delivery system and has or is willing to put forth the effort to better themselves and their technique, the 1911 is the platform.

Dollar for dollar, Kimber delivers more features in their 1911s than anyone else.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #24

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
This is what causes 95% of "problems" with any 1911. Without a rock solid platform, the action doesn't cycle properly. My Kimber is a "problematic" pistol in the clumsy hands of an inept shooter. When I'm firing it, it's a precision tool. It took me 3 or 4 years to perfect hold and stance.

In this day and age of cheap plastic DAOs, that take little or no skill to shoot, why would one bother to put for work to learn how to shoot a precision pistol?

It doesn't end there though, this mentality can be seen in inferior products all throughout our lives. Most vehicles now come standard with auto transmissions, when they used to be optional equipment. Microwaves have dulled our taste buds. Windows allows millions of people to use computers every day, but it runs poorly and eats a machines resources. It's all about instant gratification today.

To an inexperienced shooter, a 1911 will not deliver instant gratification. To someone who wants or needs a precision bullet delivery system and has or is willing to put forth the effort to better themselves and their technique, the 1911 is the platform.

Dollar for dollar, Kimber delivers more features in their 1911s than anyone else.
I think the issue is a little more KImber specific rather than 1911 specific. I can assure you that every recruit that I trained on the 1911 was "inexperienced". So, I differ with the basic premise of your comments. ON the contrary, the basic nature of the 1911 platform and it's user friendly controls and simplicity were the secret to success from a military / training perspective. Precision has its place, but not in the hands of the "average" soldier.

The series II Kimbers with the Swartz FPS require the grip safety to be completely -fully - compressed/held down - before the firing pin is released. This has caused issues in matches, and, IMHO is a liability in a threat scenario.

Unlike most Colt (even series 80) or 1911 clones where partially depressed grip safeties will allow the pistol to fire. The Kimber FPS takes the grip safety into another realm, i.e., converting it by design from a device to prevent AD if the pistol is dropped on its muzzle, (John Browning), to an ENABLING device predicated by the position of the hand on the backstrap to allow the pistol to function. (I smell a product liability lawyer).

This could be what the OP is referring to. There have been many complaints and returns of KImber series II guns because of "lock up" due to improperly fitted Swartz FPS's from the factory, and the sensitivity of the aforementioned to "average" shooters not in the know.

I agree hole heartedly with your comments concerning the necessity of proper technique, especially when shooting Kimber series II guns. I own Kimbers myself, and I swear by them, but, I have removed the Swartz features by choice.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #25

I cannot comment about out of the box problems with a Kimber. Picked up mine up NIB from a good friend who also builds 45's and he went thru it and lightened this and trued that before I ever fired shot # 1. The slickest 1911 style pistol I have ever owned. Ultra reliable and will shoot anything from light commercial loads up to the heavy fas ones I like.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:57 AM   #26

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

My main carry 1911 is a Wilson Combat CQB, The other two 1911's that I carry are a Kimber Custom and an UltraCarry. Over the years all other 1911s have been sold. These three are staying with me forever. I guess you can put me down as a Kimber fan.