every fifth kimber? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > every fifth kimber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would stick with the Eclipse, which I have shot and is a great pistol, or the Desert Warrior, which I have also shot and is a bit better pistol, IMO.

The Warrior comes with KimPro finish, which is fantastic against normal wear and tear, plus the thing practically oils itself. Really slick.

The other one, the Tactical Custom, is an Aluminum Frame gun and I am not a big fan of that in a .45 - but that is me talking.

I think a 1911 should be a steel frame gun, that way if you run out of bullets, you can bash the bad guy's skull in with it.

JD

Old 02-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i agree on the steel frame, and i think the gun i carry ought to have a finish that stands up to abuse a little better than the bare steel of the eclipse. its is a good looking gun, but i imagine the upkeep is slightly higher than the glock 23 i am used to (take it apart blow the lint out of it put it back together throw lead) In my current line of work i am plain clothes most of the time and carry semi concealed (serpa on my hip under a t-shirt) so lint and dust are actually a major issue lol

Old 02-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #13

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
Not to be cocky....but i had to requalify yesterday and ended up shooting a 489/500 with my glock 23 .40
They say I'm cocky, and I say What?
It aint braggin' m*****f***er if ya back it up
Kid Rock

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
i agree on the steel frame, and i think the gun i carry ought to have a finish that stands up to abuse a little better than the bare steel of the eclipse. its is a good looking gun, but i imagine the upkeep is slightly higher than the glock 23 i am used to (take it apart blow the lint out of it put it back together throw lead) In my current line of work i am plain clothes most of the time and carry semi concealed (serpa on my hip under a t-shirt) so lint and dust are actually a major issue lol

They are a little more up keep, but I honestly don't think it is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. A little care and attention and it will treat you right.

I think you can get the Kim Pro finish on any of their steel guns, so if you really like the Eclipse, I am sure they can work it out for you - just a question of time and money... LOL

Post some pictures of what you end up with for us all to drool over.

JD

Old 02-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

will do: say i were to get the desert warrior with the light rail, or any 1911 with a rail will those fit in the standard 1911 holster, because im pretty sure blackhawk dose not make a rail specific holster, or a light bearing 1911 serpa

Old 02-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #16

I do think they make ones for the 1911, but I think you have to find last year, or maybe a year before that model.

Brett has one, because he has a rail on one of his 1911's and I am pretty sure that is a drop down thigh rig though. I don't think they make a belt model for the 1911 that includes a tactical rail option though.

I am not a fan of the rail, so I never actually looked.

You want leather? Or kydex/plastic?

Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well whatever a blackhawk serpa is mad out of. Ive gotten pretty used to them, and i really like the draw from a serpa, but i can adapt to somthing else like leather for everyday and maybe a thigh rig for tatical situations.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #18

Kimber had some problems when they first switched to the external extractors. I think the problem was with the sub-compact models and has since been resolved. I bought a full size Eclipse during that time frame and had never had a problem. The more you shoot a Kimber the better they become. I love mine.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #19

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I'm willing to give the dissenting vote. My good friend ordered a full size stainless Kimber from their custom shop.

It was not inexpensive.

When it arrived it looked like the "melt" job had been done by drunk monkeys with rasps. The front of the slide on one side was ground down almost all the way through. The fit of the slide to the frame was terrible, and the back of the slide was about 1mm over the back of the frame on the left side, and about 1mm short of the back for the frame on the right side.

The rear sight had a "slant" to it that could only be described as "WTF?" The dovetail was cut at an angle. Very slight, but noticeable.

The cosmetics were awful.

Mechanically, the trigger can only be described as "two stage". It would have been a great trigger on an M1 Garand, but was lousy for a 1911.

He decided to go with a short trigger, so we dug through my parts bin and changed out his trigger. We tried 3 short triggers and none would work. They all fit just fine, but would not drop the hammer. The long trigger went back in, and the gun was sold. (And replaced with a Springfield TRP Operator)

This pistol may have been the aberration from Kimber, but it was crap. When he called Kimber, they told him that if the pistol was mechanically sound that he could not get it replaced or (cosmetically) repaired. Essentially, if it went "bang" he was S.O.L.

When Kimber introduced their 1911's at SHOT back in the early 90's, I loved them. They exhibited all of the features that anyone could ever want on a carry gun. The ones they are turning out now do not match the early ones in any way.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #20

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I don't know if I could keep my cool after shelling out all the money required to buy a Kimber and find out it doesn't fire everythime. I might blow my top.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380