Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   every fifth kimber? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/every-fifth-kimber-11246/)

Hot Sauce NARC 02-24-2009 11:10 PM

every fifth kimber?

Hey guys been away for a while, work got busy(stupid meth heads) anyways a guy i work with is going to buy a kimber with his tax refund and now he has got me really wanting one......i have wanted one for a while. I did some reading on the interweb and most everyone agrees that Kimber 1911 .45's are a good weapon for carry and personal defense. I also read that people have experienced problems with new guns....from what i read it seemed that one out of every five or so guns had minor defects out of the box that had to be corrected with 3-4 trips to the gunsmith/factory and several thousand rounds to smooth out. I was curious to know if you guys experienced any such problems with yours

Not to be cocky....but i had to requalify yesterday and ended up shooting a 489/500 with my glock 23 .40 :)

Dillinger 02-24-2009 11:52 PM

Okay, again, Don't Believe Everything You Read on the Internetz!! It's Sirrius Bidness....:rolleyes:

I have owned three Kimbers ( I bought their bargain basement Custom Target II, I bought their .22lr 1911 model and I bought their Custom Pro Shop Raptor II ), bought between the years of 2003 and 2007. In that same time, two co workers also bought Kimbers, one of whom bought the same bottom rung Custom Target II and the other bought The Kimber Desert Warrior ( which is kind of an expensive pistol ). In that same time, the owner of the gunshop that I work at, Brett Evans, bought a Kimber Eclipse II ( though it was about a year old and from a customer who needed the cash ).

Of those pistols, I am the only one who sold one of my pistols, the Pro Raptor II TO the guy who bought the Desert Warrior. ;)

Now, in all the time I have owned my Kimbers, I have NEVER heard of such a ridiculous claim that one in five is bad and needs custom work.

In all the time that I have worked in the shop, which has been part time for about 5 years now, we haven't taken any Kimbers in for "custom repair" and the only work we have done are trigger jobs, sight change outs and we installed one aftermarket tactical rail on a guys Kimber.

Now, we are NOT a 1911 shop anymore. Brett doesn't do 1911 work unless it's for rifle customers who have been good customers. But of the people we deal with, several of them have the money to own Kimbers, and probably do.

Having said that - I would be HIGHLY SUPRISED if there was anything other than jealous haters posting about Kimber and all their "problems".

Kimber, for my money, is turning out the best built, full featured weapon for the price.

Although feel free to solicit some opinions from other folks and see what they think. But ask them about if they own one of their weapons, or if they are merely a hater....

JD

cpttango30 02-25-2009 12:06 AM

Kimber are tight like a 30 year old virgin. You have to work them in then they run so smooth it is like a greased pig on ice at a county fair.

skullcrusher 02-25-2009 12:15 AM

Wow, Tango. Many questions there. :)

Anyhoo, Kimbers suck. Don't buy one. The fewer people that buy one, maybe the price comes down. Once that happens, I can justify gettin one of my own. :D

BILLYBOB44 02-25-2009 12:56 AM

Kimbers

+2 with you Skull-I can't fathom the thought of a 30yr old Virgin? Greased pigs don't appeal either, unless their in my smoker. Trying to wear out my Govt, Model so I can justify a Kimber!:D

Hot Sauce NARC 02-25-2009 02:56 PM

i was hoping that is what you would say JD. I have also heard that you will save alot of time and heart ache if you trash the stock mags and just go with wilson combat.

Dillinger 02-25-2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC (Post 74912)
i was hoping that is what you would say JD. I have also heard that you will save alot of time and heart ache if you trash the stock mags and just go with wilson combat.

You know, I have read that too, but I never had a problem with any of the stock Kimber mags except for the one that came with my .22. It's a plastic POS and I got an aftermarket one with a better spring and it feeds much better.

All the stock mags I got with my Kimbers ran just fine for my .45's. Never had an issue. matt g had a Kimber and he ran stock mags without a problem as well.

Having said that, the Wilson 47D's are a great magazine that will definitely treat you right. The problem is they are about $30 a piece. :eek:

I really like the Kimbers and feel they are a great gun. I happen to come into some cash ( minor "settlement" ) about the time I discovered the Nighthawks which was the only reason I "upgraded".

One of my Kimbers is being rebuilt in the .460 Rowland build off with canebreak. Looking at the specs from the manufacturer, Kimbers are one of the few guns they will build the kit for because of the high pressure of the cartridge....

Which model are you looking at?

JD

Hot Sauce NARC 02-25-2009 03:17 PM

the custom eclipse in .45..........it is a sexy weapon, but i also like the tatical custom, and i have also considered a custon series Warrior for the addition of the light rail as i will use it on duty and sometimes light can be your best friend. If the warrior was the same price i think i would go with it, but i dont know how low my dealer will go.

Dillinger 02-25-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC (Post 74917)
the custom eclipse in .45..........it is a sexy weapon, but i also like the tatical custom, and i have also considered a custon series Warrior for the addition of the light rail as i will use it on duty and sometimes light can be your best friend. If the warrior was the same price i think i would go with it, but i dont know how low my dealer will go.

How does your department feel about using your own weapon? Any thoughts on if you have to use it and it gets tagged into evidence for the next year or so?

Let me check out the sight and see if there are any advantages, one over the other...

also, send this guy an e-mail:

george@migunslingers.com

George, I believe, is a Master Dealer and has the best prices I have found on the internet when I have been in the market. His prices include overnight shipping to the FFL near you....

JD

Hot Sauce NARC 02-25-2009 03:33 PM

im knda in a unique situation....i can carry anything from a .32 to a .50 as long as i qualify with it lol. Ya i have thought it being evidence and that would suck but im ok with that as long as i get it back sometime.