Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   EMP 9mm chamber size (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/emp-9mm-chamber-size-101219/)

Brad_CCW 12-06-2013 01:06 AM

I got a EMP 9mm about a month ago. Shoots great with factory ammo. Shoots reloads too, except at least one round per mag doesn't want to seat fully and will get stuck in the chamber.

These reloads shoot in 3 other 9mm that I own with no issues at all. But I noticed that my sizing die doesn't quite make it all the way down, so I ordered Lyman bullet seating gauge and all the rounds drop into it just fine. So it seems like the mouth of the EMP is a little tighter than it should be. Has anyone else had this experience?

Brad_CCW 12-06-2013 06:37 PM

Anybody at all?

SSGN_Doc 12-06-2013 06:53 PM

It may not be your chamber. It can be extractor tension and the case rim size of the brass you are using. The EMP is a pretty short pistol, and can be a bit more finiky on ammo and feeding than most full sized pistols anyway.

danf_fl 12-06-2013 07:09 PM

It works great with factory, but 75% with reloads?

Sounds like it works as designed. I would go back to checking the reloads.

Brad_CCW 12-07-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1450928)
It may not be your chamber. It can be extractor tension and the case rim size of the brass you are using. The EMP is a pretty short pistol, and can be a bit more finiky on ammo and feeding than most full sized pistols anyway.

The rounds wont chamber fully. The extractor hangs on plenty tight when I try to eject the live round. I just cant pull the slide back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1450938)
It works great with factory, but 75% with reloads?

Sounds like it works as designed. I would go back to checking the reloads.

I would agree except I have 3 other guns that work great and a casing gauge that all say otherwise.

Brad_CCW 12-07-2013 12:42 PM

I just noticed my .40 EMP does the sane thing but only 2% so far. And these may have been out of spec. I dont have a .40 casing gauge.

I'm thinking if I only reload brass fired from the EMP it might help.

ScottA 12-07-2013 01:31 PM

I don't remember which of my pistols I experienced this with, but the last round would fail about 50% of the time. It turned out to be a magazine issue. Swapped out the magazines, and the problem was solved.

JW357 12-07-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad_CCW (Post 1451573)

The rounds wont chamber fully. The extractor hangs on plenty tight when I try to eject the live round. I just cant pull the slide back.

It sounds like the exact same thing happened to me regarding my 9mm replace in my M&P. I was advised to check my crimp. I'll link to the thread. Maybe it will help you.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/trouble-paradise-reloads-98215/

SSGN_Doc 12-07-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad_CCW (Post 1451573)

I would agree except I have 3 other guns that work great and a casing gauge that all say otherwise.

On a 1911 extractor, the tension becomes important to both feeding and extraction. If the extractor is too tight the slide return spring is having to fight even harder to feed a round into the chamber because the rim of the round is being squeezed as it slides up the breech face and up under the extractor hook.
Shorter 1911s are already working a little harder with less leverage and momentum for feeding, so they can be more sensitive to this problem. If you are getting sticky extraction though, then you may be right, that there could be a chamber problem. Shorter 1911s can also be a bit more sensitive to chamber fouling and extraction/ejection, because of the stiffer springing that is often used in them.

Troubleshooting a 1911 often involves looking at both sides of the balance in feeding and ejection. Best of luck. If you can't identify the problem, then calling Springfield is another good option.

JW357 12-07-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1451678)
calling Springfield is another good option.

I would recommend avoiding telling Springfield you're shooting reloads though, OP. With some companies I've heard that can void the warranty. I don't know if this is true of Springfield.