embarisng moments......
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > embarisng moments......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default embarisng moments......

Well I was shooting cannon with some friends and decided to run a few mags
through my carry gun a Paraordnance P-14-45 I drew my pistol and aimed downrange
"CLICK" & nothing...... Hard primer? Re-cocked and "CLICK"..........
Hmmmm this is not only embarrassing but distressing this IS my carry gun...
so I disassemble and discover that the little rod that acts as a firing pin block
was not working properly..... it would not move up far enough to release the firing pin,
once removed the gun functioned without a hiccup....
So those extra added bits that John Moses Browning never had on his design are now left out for good!
If you carry this brand be aware of the issue and decide for yourselves as to the need for these troublesome little bits....
if you keep them you may wish to find another carry gun.....

Last edited by KABAR2; 09-07-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Anytime I field strip my 1911s for deep cleaning I use a dowel rod to function check my firing pin for proper function.

With the series 80/90 FPS system the little birds beak firing pin link located on the sear pin can be installed backwards. It all goes together but the safety is not released when the trigger is pulled. You can check the function of the FPS before you install your slide.

After my guns are cleaned and prior to returning them to service, I drop the dowel (you can use a pencil with the eraser against the breech face) down the bore and test fire. A properly functioning firing pin will launch the dowel a short distance.

I have a few different size dowels in my cleaning kit. One for each of my firearms, both hand gun and long gun.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Thank you for the info. I keep a notebook on all pistols that I here about having malfunctions. I checked through my notes & found this same malfunction from a 1911 forum about a 2 years ago. Plus allot of SS problems.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 09-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmaster207 View Post
Thank you for the info. I keep a notebook on all pistols that I here about having malfunctions. I checked through my notes & found this same malfunction from a 1911 forum about a 2 years ago. Plus allot of SS problems.
I bet the stainless steel issues were with slide cycling, right?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Do you have an adjustable trigger?
If it is improperly adjusted, it will not allow the series 80 parts to function.

The "adjustment" is only for overtravel and not to lighten the trigger.

If you do have a series 80, it is better to remove the adjustable set screw from the trigger and leave the rest in. (and then buy one without the series setup)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Yes, bad cycling seems to be a common issue. Both from the slide & the feed ramp.
After looking into it a little more it's not just with the stainless models. Is this from Canadians lack of machining skills? Or is it from the changes or "improvements" made to the original design.
Also I wanted to point out another issue that could be the problem with the OP's 1911. For what ever reason they are known for having a very weak sear spring.
I don't know if they fixed this issue or not, I just wanted to throw it out there.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 09-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

1911 AUTO FRAME SLOT BLANK - Brownells

Be Well.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #8

This is my second Para Ord product, I bought one of their frame kits when they first came out and built a pistol with it, it was a good gun but the alloy frame did have a fault after some time a crack developed in the corner of the mag well by the mainspring housing,

As to my current pistol it was bought in 2005 major short comings were addressed.... PLASTIC MAINSPRING HOUSING replaced with flat steel housing,FEED RAMP would not reliably feed hollow point widened and polished, was not happy with barrel crown so I changed it to a rebated crown, gun groups well in slow fire and rapid fire. GRIP SAFTEY rounded sharp edges... the top edge was sharp enough to get cut on!

not long before the problem with the firing pin occured I decided to refinish the gun, the painted finish after 5 + years of carrying was well worn, I did a fine bead blast on it and parkerized it EXCEPT for the grip safety and thumb saftey which are made of some type of pot metal! I have not had the time to order replacments but they will be replaced with steel castings.....

Paraordnance produces a decent pistol it is a shame they cannot produce one that does not need tinkering with out of the box.... One last thing... the grips have littile tabs on the back edge to cover the slot for the wide trigger bow these break off and then allow junk to collect in the workings..... they need a better set up there too.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABAR2 View Post

for the grip safety and thumb saftey which are made of some type of pot metal!
That "pot metal" is MIM used on some other parts also. I am not saying that MIM is bad, I just prefer not to have it on my handguns.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)