Ed brown custom
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Ed brown custom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Ed brown custom

I was at the local range shooting my ar and I noticed a gentleman on the pistol range next door shooting a stainless 1911. After finishing up with my session I walked over to shoot a few hp's I loaded and started chatting with the guy to discover he was shooting a brand new Ed brown he had been waiting for for 9 months to be built. Beautiful piece and to my shock and amazement the man let me run a mag through. I think mostly because I couldn't stop talking about how nice a piece he had. Anyways I walked down to the 10 yard line and took aim and pressed the trigger. Bull after bull after bull. I believe that some day when money is no object I may just own a nice custom build but for now the springfield r.o will have to do.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Can you break it down, in what way did you persive that the EB shot better then you Stringfield RO.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Old 08-06-2012, 04:03 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

To be honest I don't think the Ed brown shot any better than my ro. I'm very satisfied with accuracy of mine and would pit it against any other 1911. I didn't wanna come out and say my 800 dollar piece shoots as good as a 3000 dollar one because I didn't wanna start a war on here. Hahaha. Just wanted to post that I had a chance to hold and shoot one.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #4

I wouldn't think so either the Springfield Range Officer 1911 is a mighty fine pistol, and regardless of how nicely finished the Ed Brown is I wouldn't think it was 200% better then the Range Officer, I believe that when somebody buys a $3000 gun is plainly because they have more money then sense and want to own a token for their status quo and bragging rights, and thats fine and dandy more power to them, what gets me is when they look down on your $800 pistol and dub it an entry level 1911 as if it is any less accurate and reliable then their $3000 1911, glad you got the opportunity to make the comparison first hand.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Last edited by cuba; 08-06-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2952 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

An Ed Brown does look nicer than a Range Officer at a BBQ.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
An Ed Brown does look nicer than a Range Officer at a BBQ.
Yeah maybe laid out on the grill or in a longballer's holster.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba View Post
Yeah maybe laid out on the grill or in a longballer's holster.
Dunk, two points....

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 08-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #8

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba View Post
I believe that when somebody buys a $3000 gun is plainly because they have more money then sense and want to own a token for their status quo and bragging rights, and thats fine and dandy more power to them, what gets me is when they look down on your $800 pistol and dub it an entry level 1911 as if it is any less accurate and reliable then their $3000 1911
Hmmm - thank you for your keen insight into my mind and motivations to purchase a gun....
I own both pistols mentioned here & it seems from your post that the only one "looking down" is you.

I do not believe that I have ever or ever heard anyone else call a RO an entry level 1911 pistol. SA itself markets it as an entry level 'competition gun' but entry competition 1911 and entry 1911 are two very different things. The RO is around $800 as you mention while an entry 1911 is $400-500 in cost.

I do not and have never "bragged" to anyone about my EB Kobra either. I saved & scrounged $$ for it for a long time. I consider myself lucky to own a semi-custom pistol. I really do not care what others think of my owning it (like I "have more money than sense"). I own it to enjoy shooting it just like I own my SA to enjoy shooting it.

However, the two are not the same. I love my SA and would never part with it but the EB is hand fit and far superior to my SA in every respect. As it should be & as expected due to the pricepoint of each.

I have a picure of a target after shooting both guns at 7 yards offhand that plainly shows the EB to be measurably more accurate than the SA (at least in my hands - not arguing or saying that proves it would be the same in everyone's hands) but I'm sure that would be considered 'bragging' if I post it - so I will decline.

Last edited by bartwatkins; 08-07-2012 at 07:45 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have the Ed Brown Kobra Carry (in .45) and a Dan Wesson C-BOB (10mm).

There are some minor differences other than caliber.

But things like slide racking, trigger pull, thumb safety action is totally different. The EB is smoother all around than the DW.

But, neither are for sale. Each has its purpose and serve that purpose well.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 08-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #10

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

What fun. I have owned Wilson, Baer, Rock River, Clark, Heinie guns,etc. About a years ago, I was looking for a particular EB model, that I learned had been a limited production, and never located one for sale. I admit that for me, it is just that I wanted and could afford some of these guns. I don't think my having some of these expensive, for me at least, guns ever impressed anyone but me, and raised my social status, not at all. I have handled a few ROs, and have considered one myself. The ROs seem like very solidly built guns, good sights, excellent slide to frame fit, etc. When I saw the first RO ads, I thought Springfield has a winner there. No silly stuff, just a good basic .45 with good sights,etc. What a concept! I suspect the RO has been a big success for SA. Anyway, it has been my experience that the higher end guns tend to be smoother all around, more finely finished inside and out,better triggers,etc. But, could I say that any of them are more reliable, or more accurate than an RO, just because they cost more? Not really, unless I had access to a Ransom Rest for some 50 yard testing...

BTW, Some higher end semi-custom builders incude an impressive looking 15 yard test target. It has been my experience that about any half way decent pistol or revolver will shoot into a ragged hole at 15 yards or less. I believe 50 yard targets, as used by Les Baer and Clark Custom for example, are more indicative of whether or not a pistol is really capable of superior accuracy...ymmv