Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Dry Firing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/dry-firing-36200/)

RocketGuy 12-30-2010 03:38 PM

Dry Firing

Is it best to rack the slide or just pull the hammer back to cock a gun when dry firing.
Yes I am a newbie.

Thanks

Dillinger 12-30-2010 03:48 PM

Is the gun brand new, or has it been used/broken in and is new to you?

And there is nothing wrong with being a newbie. We were ALL newbies at one point or another. ;)

danf_fl 12-30-2010 03:51 PM

When racking the slide, do not let it slam foward on its own on an empty chamber.

RocketGuy 12-30-2010 03:57 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Gun is new, has not been fired. I cleaned and lubed it when I got it, just haven't made it to the range yet.

Dillinger 12-30-2010 04:17 PM

In that case I would recommend racking the slide to cock the hammer, and as was indicated, do not let it drop on an empty cylinder, then dry fire.

The 1911 design was built with dry firing in mind ( the military only had SO much money for ammo, so dry firing was part of training back in the day ), so there is no need for snap caps or anything like that.

After you rack the slide and let it down gently a few hundred times for break in, then you can just pull the hammer back and dry fire that way in the future.

The slide racking is to just simulate action use and will help "loosen it up", though opinions on that sort of thing do vary from user to user. There is no harm as long as you don't lock it open and hit the slide release, letting it slam home on an empty chamber.

Happy practicing. :D

RocketGuy 12-30-2010 04:37 PM

Thank you Dillinger, very much !

HOSSFLY 12-30-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 411661)
In that case I would recommend racking the slide to cock the hammer, and as was indicated, do not let it drop on an empty cylinder, then dry fire.

The 1911 design was built with dry firing in mind ( the military only had SO much money for ammo, so dry firing was part of training back in the day ), so there is no need for snap caps or anything like that.

After you rack the slide and let it down gently a few hundred times for break in, then you can just pull the hammer back and dry fire that way in the future.

The slide racking is to just simulate action use and will help "loosen it up", though opinions on that sort of thing do vary from user to user. There is no harm as long as you don't lock it open and hit the slide release, letting it slam home on an empty chamber.

Happy practicing. :D

Sums it up :cool:

JonM 12-30-2010 07:59 PM

letting the slide slam home uncontrolled empty is bad mojo for any semi-auto rifle or pistol, not just 1911's

SecPro 01-02-2011 07:19 AM

Also I'd recommend snap caps or dummy rounds of some sort for dry firing.

jpg366 01-04-2011 03:08 AM

Bad practice

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 411728)
letting the slide slam home uncontrolled empty is bad mojo for any semi-auto rifle or pistol, not just 1911's

And not on a chambered round either, unless you want a broken extractor.

Slam home ONLY for feeding a round from the magazine.