drop in wilson combat barrels to fit ur 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > drop in wilson combat barrels to fit ur 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 03:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default drop in wilson combat barrels to fit ur 1911

i was doing some checking out on wilson combats site and i found drop in barrels for almost any full size 1911 and a 4inch barrel to fit my kimber for $200. wilson's site said the 4" only fits kimbers. was thinking of getting one after i can get a holster for it as well. Anyone ever heard of anyone doing this? does it have to go through an FFL? if you havent already you should check out wilson combat's site and dream like i like to sometimes.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2011, 04:06 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Barrels are not considered firearms and an FFL isn't needed. Thought about doing this for my Colt, but never got the money together.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Please be aware that many 1911 parts advertised as drop in's sometimes aren't and require fitting to operate correctly. The 1911 is the lego set of the handgun world and the amount of aftermarket parts available is staggering. Get a copy of the Brownell's 1911 catalog sometime for proof of this point. The reason they make brand specific barrels is some brands use ramped barrels and many sub 5 inch guns use bull barrels versus the government standard bushed barrels.

I have to ask, what makes you think you need a new barrel?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:50 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

needed and wanting are two different things. would not even think of it if it wasnt Wilson Combat. but it is.. sooo... barrel is bored to .00005 inch to perfect. also less than half and inch at 25yards in .45acp. it would be like having a sleeper kimber. long range accuracy being one of the biggest things that puts the two apart(to me). and for $200 why not..

Old 02-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2955 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

The barrel is only 1 part of the accuracy factor. The key is to have the same lockup each and every time.
What other parts are involved? Barrel bushing, Barrel link, Barrel lugs (top and bottom), headspace of ammo, ammunition itself, extractor interference (if any), etc...

Now the question is can you shoot .5" at 25 yards? Or 4" at 100 yards?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-16-2011, 02:31 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i wish.. hows yours at 100yrds. with a pistol?
pretty sure that is measured from a bench gun..
barrel link and pin... yes checked it out
agreed that a barrel is only part of accuracy, just like a tire is just a part on the car.
also agree that it is the user of the weapon. and in my case their is nothing wrong with the user or the weapon.

by your estimations couldnt you say the same of a trigger job?

but i am going to talk to a gunsmith that i know before i make a finial descsion.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:30 AM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you're stuck on Wilson Combat, sent them your gun and have them "tune" it a bit. Guaranteed they will do a fine job and everything will work when it leaves their shop.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranc2 View Post
i wish.. hows yours at 100yrds. with a pistol?
pretty sure that is measured from a bench gun..
barrel link and pin... yes checked it out
agreed that a barrel is only part of accuracy, just like a tire is just a part on the car.
also agree that it is the user of the weapon. and in my case their is nothing wrong with the user or the weapon.

by your estimations couldnt you say the same of a trigger job?

but i am going to talk to a gunsmith that i know before i make a finial descsion.
How accurate is your firearm? Most manufacturer barrels will give aftermarkets a good run for the money. Put it in a Ransom Rest and see if the accuracy needs to be improved.

A trigger job (if done correctly) will definitely help any modern firearm.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have a Kimber Customer II and when I bought it, they told me it has a match-grade barrel and bushing (source: Kimber America | Custom II ). That was one of the reasons I chose Kimber over less-expensive 1911s. I did not see specific accuracy claims. I would like to see some if someone had any. Other than the stock-sights being off-center by a few inches at 7 yards, it puts very tight groups together. More tight than I can aim.

I am still interested how your barrel-swap goes.

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 02-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have an old Springer with a 2 piece barrel. I've used it in competitions and have 20,000+ rounds through the original barrel.

It still groups 5 rounds in one hole at 25'. The hole may not be .451", but it is not larger than 1".

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC