Double stack Para?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Double stack Para?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Double stack Para?

I'm in love w the Para double stack wondering how they stack up to the rest?(pun intended lol)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

The hi-cap Para has been around for a couple of decades.

I am not a fan of the Series-80 like setup, but most Para owners seem pleased.

(Hint, Have you noticed how few Para complaints there are in this forum?)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
The hi-cap Para has been around for a couple of decades.

I am not a fan of the Series-80 like setup, but most Para owners seem pleased.

(Hint, Have you noticed how few Para complaints there are in this forum?)
Thx, I don't mind the 80 series as this will be my first 1911. I've had the fever for quite awhile but w money tight I had to justify another .45. This will be my home defense and travel gun(plus I'll have my XDs). I have large hands and love the feel of the double stack!

Old 07-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #4

Liked 930 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 676

My opinion is I wouldn't own a para if you gave it to me. Not a fan of them at all. Maybe they are better now that they have moved into the U.S. Bought 2 and will never own another.

USMC 74-78

Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
My opinion is I wouldn't own a para if you gave it to me. Not a fan of them at all. Maybe they are better now that they have moved into the U.S. Bought 2 and will never own another.
Is it quality or service you had problems with? Also very interested in a used one, anything to stay away from?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7208 Times on 3948 Posts
Likes Given: 14703

Tough looking gun

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 07-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I own two para Ord pistols and have shot several others. I think the two great testaments to their quality is:
1: You rarely hear anyone complain about them.
2: You don't see them for sale used a whole lot..

One of the ones I have is a double stack P14. I's one of the older made in the great white north pistols that come in the little plastic boxes. I reallyt have no idea how manyh rounds have been through it but it is a lot. I've had it long enough to go through few of my runs of reloaded 40 and I don't make them much so when I do I make a whole lot of them. It's at least 5K-8K rounds and I got mine used. It's never failed to work properly and it very accurate.
The other is a LTC that I got to carry. It's more like a commander length pistol and not a double stack. Being it is a carry gun I practice with it a great deal. So again it's had a lot of ammo sent though it. I hear often how those LTC with alloy frames can't take the abuse. I have to say I have proven that wrong.

I have a friend that I shoot wit ha lot that has the Companion, Tac-Four, and a P16. None have ever had a problem, I really want one of those Companions!
Those Hawgs are are pretty nice too. I got to shoot one of those a while back. The Tac-Four was pretty heavy for something that was made for carry. Imagine a double stack commander 1911 and you get the idea. It was a great shooter though. I really like the LDA triggers. It has to be the lightest DA I have shot.

Bottom kine is I have yet to see any of the problems from the older or newer guns made by para. I don't want to be one of those "Well I got X so everyone needs one" guys." I will say find some way to shoot one and you will know then.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

My wife bought one used, a single-stack LDA CCW .45, uses officer mags. She fired it at a range session and immediately had an IWB holster made - it's now her EDC. She would buy more used if any were available! Both of us are completely happy with the gun and the company. I haven't spoken to one Para owner that didn't love it. One caveat is that the double- and single-stack feel completely different from each other, both to shoot and carry. Try both, borrow or rent, if at all possible.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #9

Liked 930 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock23taBG380ta View Post
Is it quality or service you had problems with? Also very interested in a used one, anything to stay away from?
Had a P-14xxx and it started jamming up some. FTE, FTRTB, and called Para. They told me to run more ammo through it and since is was a discontinued model to get back to them. RIGHT, like I was gonna do that. Traded it away for a SS SA GI and loved it. Bought a Para expert and the finish though looking good started coming off (flaking) in a couple of months. Sold it to a friends brother and last I heard it was jamming on him.

USMC 74-78

Old 07-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
Had a P-14xxx and it started jamming up some. FTE, FTRTB, and called Para. They told me to run more ammo through it and since is was a discontinued model to get back to them. RIGHT, like I was gonna do that. Traded it away for a SS SA GI and loved it. Bought a Para expert and the finish though looking good started coming off (flaking) in a couple of months. Sold it to a friends brother and last I heard it was jamming on him.
That is so strange, both problems, actually. To be truthful, I have never owned a plated Para, but plating can even fail on S&Ws, depending on a huge number of factors. The FTE and FTRTB are more disturbing. How many different brands and types of ammo did you try? I imagine that was what Para was referring to - finding ammo better suited to the gun, as some people unknowingly use out-of-spec ammo. My P-14 choked down everything I fed, and that must've been a dozen brands and weights.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)