Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Double stack Para? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/double-stack-para-93766/)

Crazvet 07-11-2013 08:28 PM

Double stack Para?

I'm in love w the Para double stack wondering how they stack up to the rest?(pun intended lol)

danf_fl 07-11-2013 08:58 PM

The hi-cap Para has been around for a couple of decades.

I am not a fan of the Series-80 like setup, but most Para owners seem pleased.

(Hint, Have you noticed how few Para complaints there are in this forum?)

Crazvet 07-11-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1301772)
The hi-cap Para has been around for a couple of decades.

I am not a fan of the Series-80 like setup, but most Para owners seem pleased.

(Hint, Have you noticed how few Para complaints there are in this forum?)

Thx, I don't mind the 80 series as this will be my first 1911. I've had the fever for quite awhile but w money tight I had to justify another .45. This will be my home defense and travel gun(plus I'll have my XDs). I have large hands and love the feel of the double stack!

limbkiller 07-11-2013 10:13 PM

My opinion is I wouldn't own a para if you gave it to me. Not a fan of them at all. Maybe they are better now that they have moved into the U.S. Bought 2 and will never own another.

Crazvet 07-11-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limbkiller (Post 1301841)
My opinion is I wouldn't own a para if you gave it to me. Not a fan of them at all. Maybe they are better now that they have moved into the U.S. Bought 2 and will never own another.

Is it quality or service you had problems with? Also very interested in a used one, anything to stay away from?

MisterMcCool 07-11-2013 11:07 PM

Tough looking gun

DrumJunkie 07-11-2013 11:25 PM

I own two para Ord pistols and have shot several others. I think the two great testaments to their quality is:
1: You rarely hear anyone complain about them.
2: You don't see them for sale used a whole lot..

One of the ones I have is a double stack P14. I's one of the older made in the great white north pistols that come in the little plastic boxes. I reallyt have no idea how manyh rounds have been through it but it is a lot. I've had it long enough to go through few of my runs of reloaded 40 and I don't make them much so when I do I make a whole lot of them. It's at least 5K-8K rounds and I got mine used. It's never failed to work properly and it very accurate.
The other is a LTC that I got to carry. It's more like a commander length pistol and not a double stack. Being it is a carry gun I practice with it a great deal. So again it's had a lot of ammo sent though it. I hear often how those LTC with alloy frames can't take the abuse. I have to say I have proven that wrong.

I have a friend that I shoot wit ha lot that has the Companion, Tac-Four, and a P16. None have ever had a problem, I really want one of those Companions!:eek:
Those Hawgs are are pretty nice too. I got to shoot one of those a while back. The Tac-Four was pretty heavy for something that was made for carry. Imagine a double stack commander 1911 and you get the idea. It was a great shooter though. I really like the LDA triggers. It has to be the lightest DA I have shot.

Bottom kine is I have yet to see any of the problems from the older or newer guns made by para. I don't want to be one of those "Well I got X so everyone needs one" guys." I will say find some way to shoot one and you will know then.

TekGreg 07-12-2013 12:32 AM

My wife bought one used, a single-stack LDA CCW .45, uses officer mags. She fired it at a range session and immediately had an IWB holster made - it's now her EDC. She would buy more used if any were available! Both of us are completely happy with the gun and the company. I haven't spoken to one Para owner that didn't love it. One caveat is that the double- and single-stack feel completely different from each other, both to shoot and carry. Try both, borrow or rent, if at all possible.

limbkiller 07-12-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glock23taBG380ta (Post 1301878)
Is it quality or service you had problems with? Also very interested in a used one, anything to stay away from?

Had a P-14xxx and it started jamming up some. FTE, FTRTB, and called Para. They told me to run more ammo through it and since is was a discontinued model to get back to them. RIGHT, like I was gonna do that. Traded it away for a SS SA GI and loved it. Bought a Para expert and the finish though looking good started coming off (flaking) in a couple of months. Sold it to a friends brother and last I heard it was jamming on him.

TekGreg 07-12-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limbkiller (Post 1302504)
Had a P-14xxx and it started jamming up some. FTE, FTRTB, and called Para. They told me to run more ammo through it and since is was a discontinued model to get back to them. RIGHT, like I was gonna do that. Traded it away for a SS SA GI and loved it. Bought a Para expert and the finish though looking good started coming off (flaking) in a couple of months. Sold it to a friends brother and last I heard it was jamming on him.

That is so strange, both problems, actually. To be truthful, I have never owned a plated Para, but plating can even fail on S&Ws, depending on a huge number of factors. The FTE and FTRTB are more disturbing. How many different brands and types of ammo did you try? I imagine that was what Para was referring to - finding ammo better suited to the gun, as some people unknowingly use out-of-spec ammo. My P-14 choked down everything I fed, and that must've been a dozen brands and weights.