Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   dont know anything about them (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/dont-know-anything-about-them-60778/)

gunguy1997 03-22-2012 02:43 AM

dont know anything about them

ok i have looked at quite a few 1911 and i dont know much about these 3 so im searching for opinions. they are the sti spartan 5in., springfield range officer and Springfield mil-spec. any advice is appreciated.

Jstrong 03-22-2012 03:02 AM

From what I've heard you can't go wrong with a springfield 1911,and if by some odd chance you do... They will jump through hoops to make it right. The only thing I've read about sti spartan was a pretty positive review

g17frantz 03-22-2012 03:04 AM

All are excellent choices. I've owned a mil-spec springer-great 1911. Flawless. I like the Sti but the giant SPARTAN on the side draws me away and I've shot a range officer. All good choices sir. If I had to pick....range officer out of the 3

Ultimate_sig 03-22-2012 03:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gunguy1997
ok i have looked at quite a few 1911 and i dont know much about these 3 so im searching for opinions. they are the sti spartan 5in., springfield range officer and Springfield mil-spec. any advice is appreciated.

If your gunna get a 1911 do it right and get a colt. So your wanting a springfield or spartan, which run about a grand. Go with a cold cup trophy, this are flawless. Heres a pic...these run around $1500, but go to gun buying club. Com and you can get it for $863. Tell em Dennis sent me

Attachment 42128

gunguy1997 03-22-2012 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig (Post 747858)
If your gunna get a 1911 do it right and get a colt. So your wanting a springfield or spartan, which run about a grand. Go with a cold cup trophy, this are flawless. Heres a pic...these run around $1500, but go to gun buying club. Com and you can get it for $863. Tell em Dennis sent me

Attachment 42128

well i looked at colt but i am limited on funds and i have to buy with cash because i dont have a credit card i am only 14 but i am going to go get a job soon and then have my parents buy it. they said if i got the money they would go get it.

Jpyle 03-22-2012 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunguy1997 (Post 747865)
well i looked at colt but i am limited on funds and i have to buy with cash because i dont have a credit card i am only 14 but i am going to go get a job soon and then have my parents buy it. they said if i got the money they would go get it.

Be careful what you post in public and how you word it. What you are describing here is an illegal transaction known as a straw purchase. Being under 21 it is illegal for you to purchase a handgun. Knowingly having a parent purchase a gun for you using your money is a felony. Now if your Dad were to buy the gun and give it to you as a gift, that's a different story...catch my drift?

BTW, the SA Range Officer is a really nice 1911 if you can afford it. Street price is around $800-$900

gunguy1997 03-22-2012 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 747881)
Be careful what you post in public and how you word it. What you are describing here is an illegal transaction known as a straw purchase. Being under 21 it is illegal for you to purchase a handgun. Knowingly having a parent purchase a gun for you using your money is a felony. Now if your Dad were to buy the gun and give it to you as a gift, that's a different story...catch my drift?

yes i get it now and i did not know that at all. thanks.

gunguy1997 03-22-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 747881)

and that's actually what it is it would have been a birthday gift. i just didn't state that.

kvtcomdo 04-01-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunguy1997 (Post 747831)

I love my Range Officer. The mil spec will cost you a little less (600 vs 800) and is a great entry level 1911 which will give you years of service.

Springfield has GREAT customer service as well.

My $.02;)

Phelenwolf 04-02-2012 02:30 PM

Have you looked at Rock Island Armory 1911's? They are a very well made 1911 for the price. Around $400 depending on what you get. But remember as a minor you and your parents are going to have to read and understand the laws concerning a minor and having a handgun. Would hate to hear about you getting into some major trouble with the law that would or could cause you both to lose you gun rights.