Do I need any upgrades? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Do I need any upgrades?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 11:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

DO NOT change a thing until you run 500 rounds down range! In that 500 rounds half should be HPs and 50 min should be hot load +Ps.

If there is an issue, and you have made a change, is it a gun problem or your change?

If the trigger feels good don't f*** with it!!

If you can, measure the extractor pressure. Record it and this will establish a base line if it ejects spent casings ~6'.

If the gun is feeding and ejecting well, don't f*** with either the extractor or ejector!

Here's how I would break in any new (to me) gun:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-mags-11991/#post84096

If you are having no FTF issues DO NOT touch the feed ramp! Even if it has tooling marks but it still feeds, don't f*** with it!

If you are having no FTE issues DO NOT touch the ejection port! If it needs work it will bear brass witness marks. Besides a change here will require refinishing.

IMHO I would not touch the slide stop. This is a critical member of the fire control system and can be fatal if it fails to lock the slide open when the mag is empty. One handed slide release is a skill that comes easy with rounds down range. The bigger it is, the more chance it has to malfunction. If you do go with a new slide stop, get a forged or tool steel billet replacement. A new stop will need tuning to insure proper interface with the mag follower.

The only reason to swap out the thumb safety is if you are a lefty. Then a change to an ambidextrous safety would be in order. If you are a right strong side shooter don't f*** with it!

Both slide stop and thumb safety are a functional part of the 1911's fire control system and NOT a rest for a pair of lazy thumbs!

If you are anything but absolutely comfortable with the above changes have a gunsmith do the work. Each one requires fitting and tuning. There is no such thing as a "drop in" part.

One thing I would change is the mag release. Depending on what stocks you go with the mag release can be difficult to get to if your sphincter is puckering!

You have two choices other than the OEM release. Tactical Magazine Release (~ 1/16" longer and won't snag on clothing during carry) or Extended Magazine Release. (usually longer and with a large button for competitive shooting)

You will not need the entire mag release assembly, just the button end, the spring and lock will interchange.

Shoot the dam thing and enjoy what Colt has built! If after giving her a chance and find something needing improvement in your eye, then you can buy her a new set of tits or a face lift.

Outstanding Colt Ineff! Welcome to the fraternity!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello