Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Do I need any upgrades?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Do I need any upgrades?

My new baby is a Colt Combat Elite. It's a limited-production Government model with a stainless frame, blued slide, and special rollmark. It has a lowered and flared ejection port, Gold Cup style front strap serrations, a beveled mag well, and 3-dot sights all standard from the factory. It also has a fitted Wilson Combat barrel bushing.

Question: What else should be done? Trigger breaks like glass. Bad guys will feel lucky getting shot with this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

A Range Report would go a long ways towards answering this question.

Congrats on the purchase! I think you find that you will never go back to another platform.

You have officially been warned.

JD

Old 05-30-2009, 11:41 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been dreaming about this gun every day since I found it, and now that I have it, it's even better than I could imagine! If finding ammo wasn't such a bitch, I'd have that range report for ya tomorrow. Don't want to drop below 500 rounds.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:37 AM   #4

I got a spare .45 caliber Rovatec indoor training round for you if you are interested. You can practice all damn day, for about a year, for the price of one hearing aid battery.

Okay, so range time is a problem, but where the hell are my pictures of the new pride and joy??

Congrats on the bump up too - you definitely are one of my favorite members.

JD

Old 05-31-2009, 01:00 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

JD
Do I sense a little man-crush, JD?

Old 05-31-2009, 01:01 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I got a spare .45 caliber Rovatec indoor training round for you if you are interested. You can practice all damn day, for about a year, for the price of one hearing aid battery.

Okay, so range time is a problem, but where the hell are my pictures of the new pride and joy??

JD
Do tell?

I appreciate the kind words. I probably would not have stuck around if not for you and BKT. Class acts. I gravitate to smart people.

Here's the little lady

Old 05-31-2009, 01:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseharmonix View Post
Do I sense a little man-crush, JD?

No more than usual...

Old 05-31-2009, 01:51 AM   #8

Ineff - That is a good looking piece of kit.

If it were mine? I would change out those rubber grips for something less likely to snag on clothing.

I would also look at getting an extended safety on there as that one is a little short compared to what I am used too on my carry weapon.

I would check and see if you can do a mag charging action by using the rear slide against your pants leg or your boot. This is a one arm, wounded drill that I perform with every one of my carry weapons.

If you can't charge it with one hand, you need to figure out a way to do so, or it's not viable for carry, IMO.

Other than that, it's one hell of a nice piece and I look forward to your first range report.

This is the Rovatec training "Bullite" - It goes in the chamber, just like a live round, you pull back the hammer and point the weapon towards any reflective surface. When you pull the trigger, the firing pin hits the surface of the "Bullite" and it causes a burst of red light to be sent out the barrel in the same line as a bullet would go. There is a reflective training response that is triggered in the brain to cause your muscle memory to make adjustments to "hit your target".

This product was designed in Israel by a computer company to cut down on training costs.

I love mine and use it, probably, once or twice a week as dry fire practice and it has paid for itself several times over.

rovatec_bullite_parts.jpg  

Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
My new baby is a Colt Combat Elite. It's a limited-production Government model with a stainless frame, blued slide, and special rollmark. It has a lowered and flared ejection port, Gold Cup style front strap serrations, a beveled mag well, and 3-dot sights all standard from the factory. It also has a fitted Wilson Combat barrel bushing.

Question: What else should be done? Trigger breaks like glass. Bad guys will feel lucky getting shot with this.
If it hasn't already been done, you'll want to lower and polish the feed ramp. It'll help her run hollow points more reliably. You've still got a lot of room to lower and flare the ejection port a little more. A lot of Colt guys are surprised when they see the size and flare on the Kimbers.

I'd get a high ride beaver tail and a full size safety as well. The high ride beaver tails allow your wrist bones to ride in line with the barrel. They allow for more control and much improved pointability. On top of that, you'll never run the risk of catching the webbing of your hand in between the hammer or slide and the frame. The full size safety will allow more platform for your thumb to ride on. Massad Ayoob preaches using the safety as a platform for the strong hand's thumb, then the weak thumb rides on the slide release.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 05-31-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:18 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Most useful information, Matt. Good call about the safety..and while I'm at it, a longer slide release lever is in order. I can't release the slide with one hand like I can with most other hand guns I've owned.