Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Detonics MTX 1911 ~second shooting session impressions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Detonics MTX 1911 ~second shooting session impressions

27 degrees this morning, the harvested soybean field crunching under my boots as I walk out to the range. I've got the MTX prototype and 125 rounds of ammo with me, a stack of targets, and I'm eager to see if my initial impressions of shooting this gun remain the same. And I'm off to shoot it while its dirty and unlubed. I'm not looking to punish the gun or do some sort of masochistic torture test, but I want to see if the uber-tight tolerances, in a dirty gun, in sub-freezing temperatures will cause me any problems. I suspect it will, most guns, under these conditions, when already dirty, will have issues as the gunpowder residue tends to bind up slides in cold weather.

One thing that haunts my mind is that the grip should be slippery. It looks like it should slip in my hand, and even though it did NOT slip the last time I went shooting I still THINK that it should. So to test that, yet again, I decided to try something a bit different. I left the gun in my unheated garage overnight. Maybe a cold aluminum grip will be slippery under fire? My plan was to find out.

So off I trudge. At my back field range I've got markers set up at 7, 10, 15, etc yards and decide that I'll stick with the 7 yard marker as my shooting distance. Because of the outside temperature and because I'm shooting with bare hands, I had preloaded 2 magazines. One magazine had Remington UMC 230grain ball. The other had a mixture of the same Remington discount fodder, but it was mixed with some 200 grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter reloads.

First magazine runs through the gun just like it should. Accuracy, despite my cold hands, is similar to my prior shooting session. I'm able to keep the group size pretty reasonable. The mixed magazine also runs through the gun without any problems. The reloads are dirty and blowing black smoke, but the gun is running fine under fire as I reload magazines and continue to shoot. I do notice that the slide is slowing down when I hit the slide release on the 5th magazine. Still the top round loads. I'm thinking that the dirty reloads, combined with the already dirty gun, and the sub-freezing temperatures are starting to work their magic. I suspect a problem will occur soon. I'm not disappointed. Somewhere during this magazine run the slide does not come all the way forward and lock up into full battery. Tap the back of the slide and the gun is good to go. A few more shots down into the magazine and the problem is repeated. Run through the magazine and switch back to the factory loaded Remington UMC 230 grain ball ammo and we are back in business as it seems to be loaded to full power while the 200grain reloads are downloaded a bit.

So is this test a failure of the gun? NOPE. Not in my book. It performed well with the factory stuff. With the lighter & much dirtier hand loads it still worked, but did have a stumble or two. Now this was in a dirty gun. With dirty light loads. And the gun was frozen (literally frozen overnight in sub-freezing temps) so the powder residue had a good opportunity to gum up the action.

The two last targets I shot this morning, hands shaking as I shivered.

Now one last thing. I set out to confirm or refute my initial shooting impressions and to find out if the sub-freezing temperatures would make the aluminum grips slippery in my hands. I came away with some thoughts from today's early morning session.

First, despite my best efforts to freeze myself, my hands and freeze the gun, the gun continues to be controllable with no real slipping in my hands. That is excellent news. Second, this gun is a pleasure to shoot fast, while my groups opened up as my speed increased, I kept my groups reasonably sized despite the increased speed. Third, I'd now trust this gun with my life if I could find a holster to fit it. To be totally fair, I've not gone looking. I checked my holsters and found none would accommodate the accessory rail, but then again, I've never carried a gun with an accessory rail so I've never bought a holster designed to for that purpose. I'm sure most holsters designed for such will accommodate this gun . . . ah Santa, you know what I want!

I noticed during some of the fast fire drills that my left (weak hand) thumb was oddly sore. Huh, how could that be??? Turns out that I was doing something odd. I began to rest my left thumb on the magazine release. As the mag release sticks out farther than a traditional mag release it appears that my left thumb found it a comfortable place to rest but under recoil would bang against the release. This is MY FAULT and it was pretty simple, once I identified the problem, to simply adjust my thumb position.

Last edited by melensdad; 12-07-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #2

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'll be honest. I didn't read any of that, but may I assume your new pistol is satisfactory?

I just sat here staring at the Barney target. I want one.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I'll be honest. I didn't read any of that, but may I assume your new pistol is satisfactory?

The Barney targets work pretty well. His center of mass seems to attract bullet holes better than some of my other targets. I dunno why :roll eyes:

As for the gun. Yup. Worked well

Old 12-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #4

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Went back and read it, glad to hear your worries are assuaged. Its always a good thing to have a gun you can hang onto. Did you use any kind of cold weather lube?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Went back and read it, glad to hear your worries are assuaged. Its always a good thing to have a gun you can hang onto. Did you use any kind of cold weather lube?
No. In there was no lube at all on the gun!

Old 12-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #6

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:

+1

I did scan the 27 degree thing & "torture test" dirty & un-lubed thing-
No biggie -
BUT good writing tho - seriously - You cud do stories

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So, a guy can pre-order for $1500?

Black or two-tone...hmmm.

Be Well.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:15 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilage66 View Post
So, a guy can pre-order for $1500?

Black or two-tone...hmmm.
Yup, but its no longer a pre-order. Now you just order and they will ship within a week.

I had to pre-order because I was talking to them (begging & pleading) for a while before they even started production. But they have production up and running and reports are that they are shipping within 7 days. Just go to the website for instructions: Detonics Defense Technologies: Enhancing Combat Precision

They didn't update the website with the information until the day after I posted my first review of the gun, but I know they had shipped for about a week before they updated the website. I think they wanted to get out all the pre-orders and make sure the production was running smoothly?