Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Desert Eagle 1911G (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/desert-eagle-1911g-103595/)

texastom101 02-03-2014 09:03 AM

Desert Eagle 1911G

First off I admit that I am new here and have 0% credibility on this forum. I am not a professional gun writer or technologically proficient which is why I depend on a 100+ year old design(more on that in a second). I speak only from my own experience and knowledge gained from the ones who came before me.
About a year and a half ago I picked up the desert eagle 1911g on a whim just to torture, and today I passed the 40,000 round mark. I have replaced the springs three times and will do so again next month. I have found that my particular pistol prefers chip magazines and 230gr ammunition. In all of the rounds I have fired I have only had 5 failure to fires(bad reloads), and two failure to return to battery(weak springs I think). Accuracy has been in the 2.5-5 inch range at 25 meters with most loads. Fit is pretty close to my Wilson combat race gun, but the finish is showing signs of fatigue. The trigger has 1/16in take up and breaks like glass at 3.24 lbs on average with a positive reset.
All in all not a bad first 1911 or truck gun by any means. On a side note mine will not lock the slide back with 47d magazines, so make sure your magazines function before carry. And as far as the 100 year comment, guns were metal, cars were American and as a society we wouldn't hesitate to kick the dog turds out of anyone that threatened our families. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

texastom101 02-03-2014 09:20 AM

A few details I left out, I added a Kimber magwell mainspring housing, some VZ grips a touch of white out to the front sight and went with a GI guide rod. I know FLGRs are the rage, I just have no use for one and in my head unless it solves a problem you don't need it. I trust Mr. Browning knew what he was doing. I am in the process of a re finish on the gun and as soon as I am done I shall post a picture. Its just a personal thing but as I now feel confident to carry this one the roll mark must go.

danf_fl 02-03-2014 10:42 AM

Welcome to the forum! When you get a chance, stop by our "Introductions" area and say "Hi".

I use a rule of thumb (picked it up from a couple of old 1911 pro's), that when the recoil spring is about 1" shorter than a new one, then it is time to change recoil and firing pin springs.

I don't use the "shock buffers". They have been known to get eaten up and cause problems. And with my changing spring about every 5000 rounds, I really don't need them.

Your torture test is a testimony on the design. Considering that the average gun owner shoots from 50-300 rounds per year, a 1911 could last a long time.

Thanks for your input.

texastom101 02-03-2014 06:45 PM

Thanks for the welcome, I will have to remember your spring test as I just use a compression gauge. I have to agree with you on the shock buffs as well, my philosophy is if there is a need fill it. If there is a problem fix it. Keep it simple and put the dremel down.