Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Dehorning my 1911 R1 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/dehorning-my-1911-r1-80791/)

DoyleTheDog 01-09-2013 03:35 PM

Dehorning my 1911 R1

1 Attachment(s)
Is dehorning something that should be left to a gunsmith? I really only need two spots on my R1 buffed out a little so that I can carry in comfort. I obviously wouldn't want to ruin the finish of my pistol, but if this is a job I can tackle myself without doing so I'd like to know. I'm looking online for info but any advice I get here is always appreciated.

I've circled the problem area (same spot on both sides) in this pic.

Olympus 01-09-2013 03:52 PM

You're not going to be able to remove the sharp "horns" without also removing the finish leaving behind raw carbon steel. Depending on how much work you want done and how handy you are, you could probably do the work yourself. Or if you have a machine shop in your area, they could mill the sharp edges off for you fairly quickly.

DoyleTheDog 01-09-2013 04:36 PM

I think I could do it myself, I just don't know if I want to sacrifice the finish of the pistol. Do you think that a mag well guide would cover up enough of that edge so that it doesn't stab me while carrying?

DoyleTheDog 01-09-2013 06:43 PM

Talked to a local smith on the phone at lunch today. Going to take it to him tomorrow so he can look at it. His only concern was the finish being satin black oxide.

Olympus 01-09-2013 07:17 PM

You will sacrifice the finish almost certainly.

Jstrong 01-09-2013 07:21 PM

Yea most people will tell you that when hm your shopping to dehorn or do any kind of frame or slide work to a gun you also need to be shopping for a new finish

DoyleTheDog 01-09-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus (Post 1086770)
You will sacrifice the finish almost certainly.

I'd be willing to bet you're right. However I trust him to grind on the frame more than I do myself. I also plan on this being one of my two main carry guns, so I bought it knowing it would get holster wear and some scratches.

Although now this does have me pondering the idea of tackling this myself and letting it be my introduction into minor gunsmithing...

Olympus 01-09-2013 07:43 PM

Why not just have a full blown bobtail job done?

DoyleTheDog 01-09-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus (Post 1086806)
Why not just have a full blown bobtail job done?

A bob-tailed commander size 1911 is somewhere in my future. Not a huge fan of Government model 1911s with bobtails. I only carry the 45 during cold months when I wear jackets, so I wouldn't need to bobtail it to conceal it better.

Olympus 01-09-2013 09:07 PM

Okay. Why the need to dehorn then? Are you getting jabbed by that particular area of the pistol or something? If you only wear it during the cold months with a jacket cover garment, then I assume you're using an OWB holster? If so, then you should have another shirt between you and the gun so I doubt dehorning will provide any increase in comfort.