Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > decisions decisions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the replies which, of course, don't help me one bit!
My eyesight isn't what it used to be and whatever my choice is, (outside of the Kimber), will get a set of Crimson Trace grips with a green laser.
The quality stories of the Kimbers do scare me a bit but there are also plenty of reviews that give it kudos. The clean look of the New Agent id appealing and I'd definitely see if I can try before I buy to see how I can handle the channel sight.
As for getting all three... does anyone here know what a slightly aged yet perfectly good kidney is going for on the black market?

Old 04-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #12

Liked 1958 Times on 1162 Posts
Likes Given: 422

Ya might get about 10,000 Bhat for a kidney in Thailand.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
Give the difference in sights, serious consideration. Primary use should dictate.
Bingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Ya might get about 10,000 Bhat for a kidney in Thailand.
Oh good. So about $300 when I was there about five years ago. No idea what the current exchange rate is and I'm too lazy to look it up.

OP, my preference order would be New Agent, Defender. Kimber will not make a list of mine until they get a better warranty.

However for you, since you say you have vision issues, I think you will be better suited with the better sights of the Defender. Just my opinion of course.

Always have clean socks.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19797 Times on 11239 Posts
Likes Given: 49898

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
I wish I had to make this decision

My choice order would be Colt Defender, Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II or New Agent.

Axxe55 likes this (just trying to help ya out - you are getting dangerously low on likes - remember 50,000 per person )
i actually came very close to buying the Colt Defender, but ended up getting the SA Loaded Micro Compact 45, which i am very pleased with, and i think they have even dropped it from the SA line-up as well.

the Colt Defender is a nice pistol. but the SA fit my hand just a bit better. the Kimber, buying it new would not even be a consideration due to their warranty period. only way i would consider the Kimber is if it was used and the price appealed to me.
People Like This 
Old 04-02-2014, 12:59 AM   #15
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1703 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5188

I take it JonM doesn't really like the Kimber offereing. or maybe any Kimbers.

Mine has take more abuse in the last 6 years than most peoples will see in several lifetimes.
It holds up fine I don't clean it for months, I work with it, (like remodeling and yard work). .. I shoot it and reload it and do it all over again.

I don't know if a match barrel from stainless is the difference, but I'm good with it. .. no rust, but lots of dirt, crud, paint, sawdust, welding spatter, and even some silicone caulking.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-02-2014, 01:06 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19797 Times on 11239 Posts
Likes Given: 49898

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
I take it JonM doesn't really like the Kimber offereing. or maybe any Kimbers.

Mine has take more abuse in the last 6 years than most peoples will see in several lifetimes.
It holds up fine I don't clean it for months, I work with it, (like remodeling and yard work). .. I shoot it and reload it and do it all over again.

I don't know if a match barrel from stainless is the difference, but I'm good with it. .. no rust, but lots of dirt, crud, paint, sawdust, welding spatter, and even some silicone caulking.
a lot of people have an issue with the warranty period that Kimber offers. that is my biggest deterence in ever buying one new. Kimber offers some very nice looking pistols and many have very good luck with them. some have problems from the first time they shoot it.

i would only buy a Kimber used, at a price that was appealing to me, on the basis if it did have problems, it would be me fixing those problems.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:38 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 114 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I would hate to choose, but if forced I would keep my Defender over my New Agent. The Kimber isn't a bad option by any means, but if it's against a Colt...

image.jpg